Delta Homecraft 10" bandsaw - should I???

A local guy who is moving has a delta homecraft bandsaw he's going to be selling. Now, I really don't have room in my budget for more tools at this time, but he's giving a lot of stuff away, just to clear out the house before he moves, so I'm thinking "what if this is a deal I can't pass up?" So I asked what model and how old. (This was an email; haven't had a chance to talk to him directly yet).

He didn't offer a model or serial number, but said it is a "delta homecrafter" made in the '50s. He describes it as a smaller model of the "famous" 14" delta 2 wheel bandsaw. Thinks it has 10" wheels, with about 6" vertical capacity. He also said he partly rebuilt it and has been using it for woodcarving projects (cutting blanks, I presume).

$100, including a few extra blades.

I found some information in the archives, not a lot. Not much on OWWM.com either. A picture of an old Homecraft bandsaw, but that would have been before Delta bought Homecraft. I'm guessing this is not the same saw as the Delta - Homecraft. Can the "Tool Czar" or anyone else here give me any additional information?

What parts tend to be bad on an older one like this? Are there any specific tests I should try? Or just make a few test cuts on scrap and listen/look for... what?

Is there a range of model numbers that are good, or only one (saw 28-100 in a post as being very well made), or a range of years?

Would something of this vintage have come with a fence?

How much do you think it's worth? Assuming all parts are there, it works, and it's not all rusted out?

Thanks for any help! My first chance to check it out would be Wednesday, but I'd like to go there with as much knowledge of it as possible.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Delta didn't buy Homecraft. Homecraft was Delta's "second tier" line, like the Shopcraft line they have today only USA made/steel and cast iron construction.

Tires, wheel bearings and guide bearings.

See if the band will track.

Whether or not you like it.

Not sure.

Try looking at the Homecraft catalogs on the OWWM site.

$50 to $100. OK, $50. $100 if it's exceptional.

Go to the OWWM.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If it doesn't have a fence check this out, it looks pretty good to me:

for the cost.

Reply to
AAvK

I have one that belonged to my grandfather, It's held up well since the '50s. It could use new tires and I replaced the guide blocks and the bearing that sits behind the blade. Mine has no fence or any slots in the table. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact I can't find blades for it easily. I can get them online but none of the stores ever have them. (HD, Lowe's, Woodcraft, etc.) I got the blade and parts from

who were very helpful. If I remember correctly it uses a 70" blade. The bottom line is that while I'd much rather have an 18" Laguna with a fence and dust collection or similar, the Homecraft works just fine and didn't cost me a dime. Also, I'd like to think that it puts a smile on my dearly departed grandfathers face everytime I use it.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

replying to Keith Carlson, rickv123 wrote: I have a Homecraft 10" band saw myself. I'm getting ready to sell it soon. Everything works on it.

Reply to
rickv123