New Closet Project

I have finally finalized my plans to revamp our master closet. As most know the builder closets are typically close hanger rods cris crossing every where and you end up not having as much space to hang clothes as it looks when it is empty.

The new design will take advantage of the 9' tall ceilings in the closet and will have more useful space to store whatever. Right now we have about 30" of space above the top rod that my wife cannot reach.

The new design will place the top row of rods about 104" from the floor. Yeah we cant reach that either but I am putting "Wardrobe Lifts in place of the top rods. These pneumatic assisted bars will pivot up and down to a rod height approximately 70" from the floor and will be situated above the lower "regular wooden rods". All of this will be on top of two banks of drawers in cabinets that stand 24" tall.

In the very back will be 2 identical linen/stuff cabinets with clothes hampers build into the bottom half of each. These hampers will double the size of the hamper that we use now.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And this is where I am at on the first left side bank of drawers cabinet.

This will all be painted so I am using poplar for the hard wood face frames and trim and MDO for the sheet goods. All panels are let into the the front and back face frame dado/grooves and the bottom panel is let into the side vertical panels with dados. And the center vertical panels are let into the bottom panel. Face frames joints are reinforced with Domino floating tenons. No screws until I get to the drawer slides and when I attach the backs to the back face frame. Hopefully I'll assemble the smaller right side bottom drawer cabinet tomorrow.

Reply to
Leon

Leon