Need parts for old Delta Milwaukee lathe

I have an old Delta-Milwaukee wood lathe, serial number 27-274, that

inherited from my dad. Don't know how old it is, but it is one of m earliest memories as a child and I'm pushing 50. It didn't get much us as I recall, and is still in good physical and working condition. recently changed out the belts which I assume were as old as me.

It has a Delta Milwaukee cross-slide compound which I use for th occasional turning of aluminum parts. I can find no identifying mark on the compound at all.

I recently noticed noticed that it was making poor cuts, and the too was "diving" in to the work. I investigated and found that the bras Acme lead screw nut on one of the axiis was not only loose, but i quite worn as well.

Can anyone on the forum refer me to a source of data and parts on thes old lathes and accessories? The local shop basically said "good luck"

-- J. Mark Wolf

Reply to
J. Mark Wolf

I've bought Acme nuts from Enco; but don't think they carry them in brass. This URL should fetch their PDF catalog page:

If you do find a source of brass Acme nuts, I'd appreciate if you let me know where/who it is!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

If you don't find a source for the nut, you can have one made at a local machine shop. It won't be cheap, but it will be worth it if the rest of the machine is still in good condition. Since the cost of the part will be mostly setup time, consider having a spare or two made. It'll likely only be a few dollars more than the cost of just one. They will want the old nut and also the acme screw so they can match the new nut to it for proper fit.

Charley

Reply to
Charley