Need help finding ring-shaped wire clamp

Was wondering if I can find it in the States:

the clamp is a slit ring of may be 4" OD, made out of

1/8 or so, spring-tempered steel. Works wonders when clampling elaborate/intiricate woodwork.

Is used extensively in Russia - this is where I saw it. Doing extensive searches in US catalogs didn't show anything even remotely similar ...

Trying to avoid having to make my own (1/8 drill bent with a home made bender, heat-treated).

The ring has to be as close to ideal circle and be planar to work the best.

Reply to
rashidk

Something like the fourth item on

?

[...]

Wrong type of steel, not springy enough.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Not at all like this one, no.

Just image 4" diameter perfect circle/ring, made out of piece of 4mm (1/8) or so wire, slit so that ends can be moved apart and the steel, being springy, will try to get the ends together again. Nothing more, nothing less.

Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Reply to
rashidk

I'd do a search for hose clamps. Also check the embroidery/ needlepoint areas - I think they use things like that to hold the fabric on the rings. You can buy screw type 4" hose clamps all over, if they would work

HTH, Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

That's exactly what he showed you, except they are improved and not a full circle. Did you look at the 4th item down from the top?

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Unfortunately the hose clamps will not do, neither will anything at the url above. I did look for curtain rings at some point - but they tend to be too small in D.

To try again :) - imagine 2 x 3.14 x 2 = ~12" long drill rod, 1/8 in D. Now roll it into a perfect circle , heat treat and bingo - you got just the thing I am looking for.

Or, if you want to skip the heat treating part, imagine rolling 12" length of music wire of .100-.125 in D.

Reply to
rashidk

You'll get several out of an old bedspring.

John

Reply to
John

How about cutting sections of 4" ABS or PVC pipe? Cut out slice for whatever "spring" tension you need and go.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Reply to
JeffB

Not what you are asking for, but I have made similar clamps from a piece of PVC pipe, 4" ID, cut into appo. 1" "slices" then cut once radially so they can be spread open into a "C" shape. I made about 20 of them from a waste piece of pipe I took out of a construction site dumpster.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman