Need help finding hardware

I built some bookcases into a sliding wall. It hides a "secret room". The book cases hang from barn door hardware and are guided by a short track on the floor. With the wall/door closed you can not tell there is a room behind there. The problem is when you fill the book shelves with books they get heavy. I want to motorize the door. So I am looking for possible hardware.

I have thought about using a screw type garage door opener. The concern with this aproach is the range of door movement. I need about 5 ft ove movement. Can the standard door openers be adjusted for that small amount of movement?

Does anyone know of any sources for this kind of hardware?

Reply to
Joe Willmann

door openers have a trip switch that mounts to the track that limits the range of movement.

Reply to
mel

This is a relatively trivial "build it yourself" job.

I just built an 'opener' assembly, from scratch. components, and approximate pricing:

6' 3/4" threaded rod this is the screw drive $10.00 "long" (roughly 2") hex nut the 'follower' $ 0.75 2 pillow-block ball bearing supports 10.00/ea 2" dia drive gear (3/8" 5tpi cog-belt drive) 17.00 1/10 hp, 1500rpm, _reversable_ motor *surplus* 9.95 w/ 3/8" 5tpi drive gear 3/8" 5tpi cog belt 5.00 low-voltage control system 20.00 metal hobby enclosure 12V transformer rectifier (couldn't find AC relays, use this w/ DC relays) 2 relays (one for run/stop, one for open/close) two 'limit switches' 3-way switch power cord

misc hardware 3.00

Total cost, about $85.

I could have saved $25 or so, If I'd felt up to fabricating my own supports for surplus ball-bearing races, rather than buying new industrial- grade, and v-belt instead of cog-belt drive.

And likely another $5-10 on the 'electronics', by shopping discount/surplus sources, vs just bying all at Radio Shack. But they _were_ conventient. :)

This opens/closes a 4-1/2' spam in about 30 seconds.

For your application, I'd gear down further, or use a more powerful motor. 1/4hp might run $20, and 3/4 hp ones (from treadmills) were going for around $40, at the same source I got my 1/10 HP one from.

Note: for those into 'gadgeteering', and not familier with the place, "American Science and Surplus", online at , is a *dangerous* place. Ditto for "Surplus Sales of Omaha", online at

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Reply to
Charlie Groh

in uk

I've used these

GBP

as the GBP has plummeted like a stone, it might even be worth an import - or I can jiffy bag you a packet over at cost.

Reply to
Bored Borg