My observation re: David Marks

There is a lot in what you are saying. A friend of mine brought over a tape of a Who concert (shot way back when Moonie was still in it) which was obviously shot by something like a local cable company. The audio didn't have a whole lot of dynamic range, but it was all natural. Two camera positions. The lighting was plain awful. But you know what? It was real. There was no production. Naked Who. The bootleg is the best of a large Who collection my buddy owns, and it would never have been approved for release by the studio weasels because it is too real. Warts and all. Just fabulous. Sometimes the polish completly hides the artwork.

Reply to
Robatoy

SWMBO's got some stuff stored in a few of them and the pressure *seems* to hold just with the valve closure.

I agree that a vacuum cleaner wouldn't last long pulling continuous vacuum.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

*seems*

Yes but does SWMBO use the amount of pressure required to crush veneer flat onto a substrate?

OK yes of course she does, and when she packs clothes in a suitcase she achieves a density only slightly short of neutron star level. But whether the bag holds at the at level for long enough to glue to dry I don't know.

Someone must have tried using a space bag, but I couldn't find an example when I googled.

As far as cost goes though, you could buy a $600 commercial veneer bag set up, make the dining table top and still save a bundle over what the solid mahoghany top would cost you... Even more so if you flogged the equipment on ebay afterwards.

Ebay creates an interesting new tool dynamic. The cost of tool rental for a day is exhorbitant, sometimes a quarter of the cost of a tool, but if you only need it once it is cheaper. Ebay means that you can justify the cost of the tool with SWMBO as being cheaper than renting since you could in theory sell it again on Ebay, or at least you can in theory in practice SWMBO will point out eventually that you never do sell the tool afterwards and moreover one does not have a degree in rocket science from MIT to work that out.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

You're absolutely correct ... like a beauty mark purposely applied to a woman's face back in the old days, the pursuit, and attainment, of perfection usually rips the heart and soul from any endeavor. Not to mention that I would rather hear a bad recording of a good song, than a good recording of a bad song.

Reply to
Swingman

All it takes is money: he gives classes up at his own shop and also down in Anaheim at William Ng's school.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

So you're saying Norm has a better ass?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I just found plans for a vacuum veneering setup. Looks like something I'll try in my shop (once I get it all built, that is).

to his site, 30mil is the best vinyl, and you don't want to run the vacuum pump continuously, but to cycle it using a vacuum pressure controller since most vacuum pumps have a zero pressure restart ability (they're unable to restart while under vacuum). The author claims that 21-23" of mercury is about what is needed for veneering, and the pump should cycle back on between 17 and 19" of mercury.

Reply to
Odinn

I'm always worried about the potential lawsuits if the catches give way while the marijuana dog is sniffing it!

I don't either. I'm tempted to snag one of the bags and give it a try.

Same here.

I've tried that angle. Doesn't work. Response precisely as you stated "but you never do ...". Usually followed by reciting a list of the stuff that I "could always sell later on ebay ..." and is still on the premises.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Good site. Just checked, and the Space Bags are only 2.2mil. Oh well ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

DON'T go there.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:5qYje.7271 $6d.2972@trnddc02:

The local purveyor of all things woodworking had a starter kit for vacuum veneering on the display table last week. A skateboard kit. Maybe $50, including a hand powered pump. Seemed like an inexpensive starter kit.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Lee DeRaud wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We're talking with Mr. Frugality here, Corporate Spokesmodel for Harbor Freight. ;-)

That, and he's a bit reluctant to return to LoCal for some mysterious reasons, after escaping to Oregon.

All signs of apparent sanity, to me.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

A vacuum like a Fein would do a great job. It has by-pass cooling for the motor and does not depend on vacuum flow for cooling.

But for very little money, one can buy venturi based vacuum generators which will do an excellent job.

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't suffer from insanity...in fact, I rather enjoy it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Inexpensive right up to getting on the skateboard. Then itud be another trip to the ER!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote in

Probably, for smaller items. It's probably flimsy vinyl, though.

Here's a link which has links to vinyl for bags, too. (click on the DuraMax pic on the bag page)

plastics has it a WHOLE lot cheaper, though:
" x 54" @ $4.15/yd.

Here's another source:

The only reason I would take up exercising is ||
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Ah but that means that you must have succeeded with this strategy in the past. My SWMBO does have a degree in rocket science from MIT so I don't even get to try it the first time.

Have you tried the 'it turned out to be much more useful than I expected' gambit?

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Just did that yesterday. Even demonstrated the usefulness. It Worked!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

On the subject of vaccum bags, I read the Taunton book on workbenches in Borders, there is a piece in it bout making a vaccum bag to make a torsion box. They mention special vaccum bag tape used in the aircraft industry. Anyone know what this would be and where to get it? Its the type of thing where you really need a brand name.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker