David Marks' "wood selection" episode

I caught the episode on selecting and storing wood on Woodworks tonight. It was a great episode, as others here have already stated.

SWMBO definitely noticed the difference in David Marks' personality. She always loves his projects, but she has always thought he was stiff and awkward. She walked in while he was showing off his wood shed, and talking animatedly about some board. "My God, he's hot! errr... umm... Sorry, honey, but he's totally hot!"

So yeah, he livens up a bit when he's talking about wood. lol

Oh, and when he told the story of "The Tree" of quilted mahogany, SWMBO was amazed. She noted that it was a piece of wood that could actually bring tears to your eyes. I agree. Think I can get some at Home Depot?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Kevin Craig wrote in news:110820032022002504% snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com:

He has an unusual rhythm in the way he talks.

I think he's the William Shatner of woodworking.

Reply to
Patrick Fitzgerald

When I first started watching David Marks, I noticed his style coupled with a grin that seemed to always be at the wrong time. I thought he was stoned.

Reply to
Leon

It's the grin that gets me too -- I'm convinced he has somebody behind the camera that is always giving the "smile for the cameras" signal, and he just gives his grin whenever he notices.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy anyway.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

If it's pretty boy actors playing woodworker that tickle your fancy, "buns" (as SWMBO calls him) on DIY's "The Ultimate Workshop" oughta ring your bell. ;>)

Reply to
Swingman

Better not tell her about Warehouse Warriors then ("Buns" is also on that show). It's on about four times a day, and she will never get anything done. Or maybe you should tape it and start a private viewing in the befroom for her!!!

Digger

Reply to
Digger

SWMBO is definitely using the word in a derogatory manner with regard to that "buns" ... but she thinks David Marks is right up there with me.

BTW, you don't have to tell anyone about Warehouse Warriors, chances are

50/50 it'll be on if you just punch the channel up ... got to be the most run program on cable.
Reply to
Swingman

Maybe he is trying to teach you how to enjoy woodworking, pause for a second or two between operations and smile - it reminds you that woodworking is fun. Of course, if anyone walks into the room and sees you they will think you are insane.

joe

Reply to
JEL

His speaking rhythm reminds me of my father, who had chronic emphysema. From my experience way back in broadcast journalism school, when I took lots of speech courses and worked in radio, I would guess that he simply hasn't had much speaking experience. He isn't drawing enough breath to finish his sentences, and so he speaks in choppy fragments.

(Or maybe he's COPD himself from years of breathing sawdust.)

Please. Shatner is fantastic when he's making fun of Shatner. When he's doing anything else, he's a buffoon.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Maybe he's the Deforest Kelley of woodworking.

"I'm a woodworker, Jim ! Not a frigging television personality !"

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Kevin Crain responds:

But a rich buffoon.

Charlie Self

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Reply to
Charlie Self

Brett:

I found the same links myself. Forgot to do the Google People search. Thanks for the information. I saw the show last night and it sure looks like the mill is near my area. I have been to the other place - "Mount Storm" in Windsor and it's a great place to buy wood. In fact, the cabinet maker who is building our kitchen cabinets for our new home picked his cherry from their stacks. I got to help out and the wood is going to be great, we think.

It may be that Evan only offers his wood to "serious" woodworkers and you have to sort of seek him out through contacts. I'm going to send Marks an email and see if that develops into anything. Also I'll ask around. I'd love to get a Marin phonebook to see if I can spot it.

Well let me know, if anything pans out!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

I watch his show every chance I get. Nothing he builds really interests me, but for some reason I can't look away. However, I find Marks to be creepy some times, robotic most times and stoned all the time. And what's up with that 'hair helmet' he's wearing? My mom gave me better haircuts with her beautifully dull scissors, you know...the ones with half of one blade broke off. I'm thinking Marks may be addicted to the Flowbee.

Reply to
CyBrShRk

Kevin:

I live the same general area where Dave Marks does, but I've looked for this lumber yard in the phone book, but nothing shows up. Does he in the episode give the actual name and city where this lumber place is? I suspect it is further north of our area. I've got my Tivo to record it when it repeats but I'm curious to know.

Thanks

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

I think Mount Storm is in Windsor (as you guessed, up north a league or two from Santa Rosa). Their website doesn't seem to be accessible anymore.

Abe

Reply to
Abe

A while back several people on this website mentioned the benefits of a Replay TV DVR. I've since bought one. I record all of David's shows, as well as Norm's. Through my home network, I can access the Replay box and download the MPEG2 files to my computer. I burn about 10 shows onto a DVD, and keep them in my archive. I need to create an archive of what I already have stored as my collection it getting to be quite extensive. Since I have the box setup to record every show, I never miss one. Nice being able to watch the show on any computer and share with friends who are also interested in seeing a show I've talked about.

David is a bit strange, but a good teacher and excellent builder. He has tattoos on his arms, but usually wears a long sleeve blue shirt. My wife says he needs a haircut!

Like any of us would look, act, or talk better with a camera shoved in our face and the world watching us fumble around the workshop, expecting perfection!

Reply to
2manytoyz

What make and model of DVR and DVD burner?

Reply to
Swingman

Replay 5040 DVR, Sony DRU510A DVD writer.

Using DVArchive freeware on my computer to connect with the DVR and transfer the MPEG2 files to my computer once they're recorded. Need anymore info, get my e-mail address from my website:

, give me a shout. Too many spam bots here!

Robert

Reply to
2manytoyz

Thanks ... been thinking about doing the same and I like to go with equipment that someone has professed satisfaction with Much appreciate the reply back.

Reply to
Swingman

The only downside to my setup is the $9.99/mo fee for the Replay service. Worth EVERY penny though. Some have opted to pay the one time fee to avoid ever having to pay a monthly fee. Lots of info online about this, plus forums. If "YOU" had a Replay DVR, and wanted to watch a show "I" recorded, I could send it to you very easily through the Replay box. It has a network connection. Just need to know your IP address of your Replay. During playback of a show, it will automatically skip completely past most commercial breaks. Getting to where I don't watch live TV anymore just so I can avoid the commercials.

Oh, there's about a 2 second delay when watching a live show. This is because it's being recorded too, though it doesn't seem like it (no record light). This allows you to rewind a live show, or hit pause, then watch it when you get back to the TV. Too cool.

Oh, you can't share shows or transfer them to your computer on a network cable if you're using Tivo. Well, with a lot of effort you could I guess.

Nothing's perfect, but this is much closer than a VCR. Had it a year already. If it died tonight, I'd have another by breakfast.

Robert

Reply to
2manytoyz