My New Bosch Miter Saw Is Defective. :-(

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 10:28:58 AM UTC-5, Brewster wrote:

I'm not sure that your situation applies to mine. The Bosch CM10GD saw is belt driven. There is no direct geared connection between the motor and the blade.
I guess it's possible that the gear at the motor could shift, pull the belt, which would pull the gear at the blade which could move the blade. That's a lot of loose parts and I sure hope that isn't the case.
My Dewalt non-slider has the gear you mention - i.e. the motor is directly connect to the blade (more or less)
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/nBcAAOSwjDZYdT9-/s-l225.jpg
On 2/4/17 9:15 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Exactly!
-BR
On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:24:42 -0800 (PST)

this the first year for that arm arrangement
On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 2:33:26 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Do you know something we don't?
Is the arm arrangement different than what was used when the Bosch Axial Glide system was introduced in 2010?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10K3N-UCnY

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 16:31:01 -0800 (PST)

if it has been around that long than they should have gotten all the issues out by now
first year models of anything can be a risk to buy
maybe they introduced some design change or maybe a new supplier etc
On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 19:05:03 -0800, Electric Comet

Or maybe it's just a defective unit.
On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 10:05:08 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Have you considered the possibility that the particular saw I received is simply defective?
I haven't read a single review that mentioned the specific issue that I am experiencing.
I'll report back once I set up the replacement saw, hopefully this weekend.
On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 19:18:32 -0800 (PST)

anything is possible but that is always the case
my curiosity is toward manufacturing defects
with the advent of cad and cam it is more interesting as the processes have much better visibility
possible that the unit had rough handling after assembly
maybe during packing
although knew a guy that worked at a bosch plant
he avoided buying bosch products after that experience
so stuff happens but perceptions are carefully managed and prices are priced accordingly
Not every piece of manufactured goods comes out of the box correct. I had a 10" single bevel MS that did that, and man you should have seen how it ac ted up on bevels. Regardless, if the saw will only hold to 1/32", you are doing the right thing to send it back.
I sent my back, too. I cut 5 1/2" wide pieces of cab ply to true it after that was discovered, and I did everything I could think of. Reoriented the blade, put the keeper nut on in a different rotation when tightening, etc.
Finally I wired the blade guard back and held a pencil next to the teeth an d rotated it slowly with the blade tightened on the shaft. Where the blade touched the tip of a tooth (actually it was two), I marked it. Loosened t he blade, rotated it 90 degrees, and the marks when right along with the ne w orientation. Local DeWalt repair shop told me that he didn't know if the inside collet was pressed onto the shaft, or if the shaft was actually par t of the motor.
In any event, after I showed him what I had done he pronounced it "unfixabl e" and gave me a new one.
The point being, probably doesn't matter at this point what the culprit mig ht be, just move on.
Robert
On 1/30/2017 9:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Interesting that CPO now sells a reconditioned unit for $599 while amazon is 549 for a new one.
Same with the 12".. I looked at them 2 years ago, and the cpo units were 100 to 150 less than new... so it's very interesting that the prices have flipped.
--
Jeff

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:18:36 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Whatever the price, I now have 2 of them! ;-)
UPS just delivered the replacment saw but they haven't picked up the old one yet.
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:10:01 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So, now you can cut twice as much. Take advantage and double your shop size!?
Sonny
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 4:06:01 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

If I put one behind the other I should be able to cut a 24" board.
On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 3:10:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

UPS can be a pain!
I set it up with Amazon so that UPS would pick up the defective saw. Turns out UPS only picks up on weekdays during normal business hours and that someone must be there to hand over the package. They'll *leave* a $600 saw based on a note on the front door, but they won't take one away.
Since there is never going to be anyone home on weekdays during normal business hours, I decided to bring the 78 lb package to a nearby UPS Store. I called them first and told that the only tracking number I had was the "pick-up" tracking number, having been told by Amazon that the driver would create the shipping label when he picked up the box.
The nice lady at the UPS store said they could not create a shipping label from the pick-up tracking number, only one of the 2 "Customer Centers" in my area could. Guess when the Customer Centers are open. Yep, weekdays, during normal business hours. (Actually, one of them is open until 8PM, but still, no Saturday hours.)
So I called Amazon, explained the situation and they emailed me a return shipping label and cancelled the pick-up request. This is one of the reasons I bought a mini-van even though the kids moved out years ago. I tossed (more or less) the huge box in the back of the van, took it over to the UPS store and sent it on it's way.

I can understand that, kinda. If the driver picks up the wrong box at the minimum it can be a hassle to get back. In some areas it could be considered theft and UPS and the driver might be liable.

I'm not sure if the UPS Store is actually part of UPS or just affiliated with them. My sister used to work at Mailboxes, Etc. before they turned into The UPS Store.

Good on them to make this work. They earned the next sale.
Puckdropper
On 2/3/2017 1:18 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I think the recon at CPO is the 12" version, not the 10" version.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 10:08:20 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I have a Porter Cable fiber cement shear... Cutting siding with no dust is wonderful! The fiber cement trim still requires a diamond blade though as it is too thick for the shear. I don't think P-C offers that tool any more but there are certainly others on the market.
On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 10:44:26 AM UTC-6, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Isn't it the truth? I still see guys out there with cheap miter saws, jig saws, circular saws and even small grinders standing in clouds of dust whi le cutting, breathing in all the silica, and coating everything within a 10 0 feet with that abrasive dust.
I am actually no innovator on using the shear, although I was the first one I know to have one. It was desperation. I sided LARGE house on three sid es with Hardie and used a saw for all the cuts. I had to power wash patios , pay for car washes, replant delicate plants, etc. Immediately behind the cutting area there was a fence, and behind the fence was the neighbor's re ally nice little garden. Well tended and very pretty, I killed the whole t hing with the silica dust.
I paid their gardener about a 600 bucks to dig up the top layer of soil, ad d new, then replace all her plants (garden was about 50'X8')to her specs.
By the time I counted up all the extra expense from the dust to clean every thing up and included the fact that no one else in that neighborhood wanted that done to their house (too messy!) I went found the shear and have stay ed with it ever since. It is useful enough that I have rented it to a coupl e of fellow contractors to use for a couple of days at a time, and they alw ays come back telling me they are going to buy their own. So far, no sign o f that, though.
Robert
wrote in message

I've had my P-C shear for about 12 years... I keep it on a short leash so it doesn't walk off. ;~)
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 18:05:27 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

I have to reside one side of my house this summer and some other repair work. What short of shear are we talking about?
Something like this? <(Amazon.com product link shortened)86436501&sr=1-3&keywords=hardie+shears>
Or this: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)86436501&sr=1-13&keywords=hardie+shears>