My Email To Home Depot Regarding The Husky Hand Tool Replacment Process

t repacked, it was

the filter was coated with

uld do to make me a

y work, and a couple of lumberyards.

y. With contacts in management at a few Home Depot stores off and on over t he years, and the managers tell me that the monetary demographics have a lo t to do wit the store's overall relationship with customers.

and employees, so please, no lectures on being PC.

d pretty badly, much like servants. Demanding women that can't believe that they saw something on TV that a store clerk didn't, weekend warriors in ca rgo shorts, hiking boots, a well washed ball cap and a plaid shirt... that almost make them a pro. And if they saw something on TOH, or some other sh ow, they just might be a pro. I have was in an HD recently and watched a m iddle aged man (VERY well dressed in a Ralph Lauren weekend collection kind of way) berate a store clerk because his time was valuable, and the poor clerk didn't have professional grade advice at his fingertips for him. Waiting my turn for my favorite account rep at the pro desk a couple of years ago (for about 20 minutes I might add)I was finally up. I was going over my list of materials and a older, well coiffe d and bejeweled woman came up to me, put her hand around my shoulder and sa id "I'm sorry honey, but I am in a real hurry and I need to talk to this ma n for a few minutes" and then started asking about drapery installation.

. The manager at that store is changed out about every 18 months as the co mplaints by the clients pile up and they move them. I have known a few, and they assure me that everyone wants to s peak to manager and they have the time to follow up with every complaint to corporate, including their favorite "the person I talked to was very rude" complaint.

it is mixed experiences dealing with customers. But people are very demand ing these days, as well as completely dishonest. I have developed a lot mo re sympathy for the HD employees since I got to know some of the managers. The shop vac you got was probably put in the wrong bin, meant to be returned to HD for refund. OR, if the customer service was fil led by a new guy, the taped box may have been claimed to be "unopened" and it wasn't caught. Lots of variables, but I was cheered to hear that 1) you didn't come back here and let everyone know you were a huge prick that laid some (fill in stereotype here) low, and 2) they did you a solid favor by d iscounting the purchase. Not much I understand, but sometimes the thought counts a lot.

changed. Personally, I don't know how they get anyone to work there. The first weekend DIY snot showing off for his kids that mouthed off to me would certainly cost me my job.

professional relationships I get treated by my vendors as well as I treat t hem. A good example would be that I bought an electrical fixture at Lowe's that was picked by my client. It was the last one in the store, last one i n the city. Drove 30 minutes one way to get it. My electrician tried to i nstall it, but couldn't as there were parts missing. VERY close inspection revealed it might have been a repackage. Lowe's discontinued the fixture so no help there.

o much stress on my end and the lady on the other end was more and more rel axed. She wasn't exactly sure which package of screws and decorative nuts I needed, so she sent me all that came with the light. So I didn't have to wait, she sent them two-day air.

that in so many cases, situations are out of the person's hands that you are confronting wi th your problems. My experience at HD has been pretty good over the last 2

0 years, but I confess my only warranty needs have been serviced by Ridgid. I have never tried Husky (or Kobalt) as they have too many models of too many products for them to keep up. At this juncture, I feel that if I got my $$ of use out of the tool and it breaks, I just toss it. I won't argue over a $12 pair of channel locks that I have had for a couple of years. (B TW, they rely on people like me to not pursue the warranty!)

The walking across the store thing doesn't surprise me. Many folks have don e that for me.

I bought a Delta fence for my table saw from HD. Had to order it and had it shipped to the store. I went to pick it up after work wearing a white shirt and tie (big meeting that day) The box was big since the rails are 52" and it was pretty dirty. The clerk grabbed it f rom the online order rack and processed the pickup. I was about to go get a cart when he said "No pro blem, I got it." He tucked it under his arm (sort of. He was a big guy, but not a giant) and said "Where are you parked?" He the proceeded to carry it to my van and load it in for me. I of fered him him a tip but he said "No thanks, my pleasure."

Nice guy. Real nice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

it shipped to the store.

g that day) The box was

from the online order rack

roblem, I got it."

nd said "Where are you

offered him him a tip

A lot of really decent folks are still out there working, toiling away, but still showing some enthusiasm and integrity. Sometimes all they need is a chance.

I know with my clients, if I get a client that is demanding and rude, he ge ts no extra concern or consideration. If I have a client that is easy goin g and laid back, I almost always give that guy a little extra of a bit of f ree repairs.

Not all that long ago there was a push on the DIY home shows that told the prospective remodelors/flippers that they needed to stand on their contract ors hard to get what they wanted, and not to take "no" for an answer. Bad game to play with me. My jobs always come in on time, and I haven't added to the price because I missed the bid in 20+ years.

So if they want to play hard ball, I am all over it. If they are late meet ing me on site, I charge them. If they change a paint color, even on somet hing small, I charge them. If they add to the contract, I charge them even if it is something minor. If they leave a gate locked and we cannot get i n to work, I charge them. In other words, anything comes up that isn't in my contract, I charge them.

OTOH, if things are going well, we have access to the work area as needed, the client isn't asking for free work and we can work as needed to make up rain days, etc., I gladly do just about anything within reason to make that client happy. If I don't make as much money as planned on a job but has g one well, I am fine for a couple of reasons. First, my own piece of mind, and second, happy clients are referring clients.

I like a smooth running show, and as I said before, sometimes when things a ren't going right, all I need to do is step back, take a beat, then open my mouth. I certainly appreciate that kind of consideration from the people I associate with during my business day. And once something has been said, it can't be unsaid. I work hard to keep everyone associated with my compan y in a place to keep their temperature down.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

what is straightforward is malfeasance

there are lawyers out there that could start a case just based on this documented proof

Reply to
Electric Comet

A case of what? A case of wasted time over a silly hand tool? Be my guest.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A pretty good case against, well, case and punctuation, would be my guess.

Reply to
krw