Multimaster-type tools and blades.

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The newer style, with the star, won't. I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:

anybody here have anything to add?

Reply to
Robatoy

To Robatoy, I just went through same experience. I've got an early model Fein (#MSX636) multi-tool and found you can get a "Adapter Star Mount mm" which I believe will allow you to use all the blades out there. I got the adapter for around eight dollars from All Pro Tools. com. Its their part number FE 30109189010.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

The Fein people gave me one at the Toronto Woodworking Machinery show. I liked the way the rep put it: "You can use our machine on other company's blades now." ...."If you're inclined to compromise."

Reply to
Robatoy

The older Multimasters had no key/indexing pin/pins to keep the blade from rotating. Newer models have this feature as do the newer blades that will work with this enhancement.

The older Multimasters not having a key will use most any blade that is designed for key type tools. Older blades will not fit the newer tools made with indexing keys.

Reply to
Leon

Excellent. The Dremel metal/Wood blade is half the price of a Fein (even if bought in a 3-pack)....just bought one and I will see how it stacks up. I shall report back after a demolition job tomorrow.

Reply to
Robatoy

To Robatoy, The comment " If you're inclined to compromise" reminds me of the Rolles Royce salesman who upon being asked what horsepower the vehicle had replied, "Adequate".

Reply to
GROVER

I would be interested to hear what you think. I have used the hell out of a couple of the blades that came with the HF unit and they still work fine. I expected them to melt like wax.

But so far, the half moon blade has cut through (trimmed up the bottom) of about 24 feet of 20 year old hard yellow pine siding without much more than scratching the paint off of it.

Another one I ground smooth cutting roofing, but I expected that.

But their blade replacement 3 pack was on sale the other day, so I got three more smaller blades for $7.95.

Like I said in an earlier post, if I had known how much I would use this type of tool, I might have purchased a Fein years ago. But the particular "kit" that Fein sold that I was looking at was $400 at Amazon, and it came with 3 blades and a box. On occasion, it was on sale at Woodcraft for $378 or something silly like that, with a blade thrown in.

But the consumables.... ouch!

One of the reasons I bought the HF unit a couple of months ago was the fact that I had a specific job in mind for it, and I could buy the machine that came with the blade I needed in the box for less than the blade alone in Fein brand.

I would like to hear how other blades perform in any machine, though when compared to Fein.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I don't know about the Fein, but the Dremel and Bosch blades work great in the HF (older one) Multi tool. I use this thing about 3 days a week and it's never failed me. I have had to tighten the allen screw a few times when the blade slipped with heavy use. I used the carbide grout remover blade sold by Bosch and it works great. I have tried to buy HF replacement blades but they are always out of stock. Seems this tool has a large following. Home Depot always has a good stock of either the Dremel and Bosch blades. I figured I would have replaced this tool by now but it keeps taking a lickin and keeps on tickin. Kinda like a TIMEX!!! Have also had other trades come up and ask what the hell is that making that weird noise, I show them and they're at HF the next day getting one. If HF new how many I sold for them by just being on a job, they would probably give me a life time supply of the tool.

Reply to
Evodawg

BTW the Dremel and Bosch blades are of a higher quality and a bit more expensive, but well worth the extra cost. I have no idea of the Fein tool or it's accessories. My only experience with the Fein is what I've seen on the TV infomercial............

Reply to
Evodawg

That reminded me of a 'real' gold plated undermount bowl, for either a bar or a fancy lavatory. I asked the guy, who was displaying it, what would happen if the maid took some abrasive cleanser to it. His reply, without missing a beat was: "That would be a just cause for dismissal, sir."

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a feeling that Fein is going to have to change their pricing policy....and soon. Here, in Canada, Bosch seems to think, "well, if Fein can get that kinda money, so can we." because those clowns (and I really like Bosch tools..for the most part) charge the same for similar Fein blades. Dremel blades are 60% or more, cheaper.... and they can be bought everywhere.

Reply to
Robatoy

Fein's business model does not involve competing on price.

Reply to
salty

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:28:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Yessir. It's time for you to invest in a HF MFT, Toy.

(Sorry, I just hadda say it. De Debbil made me do it.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's another Fein mess me got me into,,,,,

Reply to
Robatoy

International Tools is offering a selection of blades that will fit Fein and other multis for $16.00 each. This beats Fein, Dremel, and all the rest. So happy to see someone offering an alternative to Fein's exorbitant pricing. Go to Internationaltools.com

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Uh, HF offers blades, none as expensive as what you found. Some are even as low as $3.33 each.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:45:20 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

No ouch when paying 10x the price for the tool?!?

I like Bosch, too. My old 14.4v Impactor is getting long in the tooth at 3 hard years, so I'm in the market for a new one. I paid $230 for the kit (motor, 2 batts, charger, bits, case.) I just saw an 18v Milwaukee setup which had the same base kit plus a drill motor for $199. Anyone with experience on the cordless Milwaukees, 18v specifically? One thing I really liked about he Bosch is its short nose. Overall length, from bit to back, was shorter than most. That proved itself valuable time and again.

Ditto HF blades, but I haven't used mine enough to find out how long the blades last. I start tearing out an old front porch planking and covering tomorrow, and I expect to be using the HFMFT there, so I'll get some more data on longevity.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Fred Fester Fecked a Fick of Fuckled Feiners.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A Farkell Family Production.

Reply to