Miter Saw Upgrade - I Should Have Looked Before I Leaped

I have the 10" version of the Bosch Glide miter saw. The guy from the makeeverythingshop.com website has the 12" model.

I watched his video on how to add an LED lamp to create a shadow line on the work piece that shows exactly where the blade will cut. How cool!

He's says under $20, the lamp was actually under $7. Even cooler!

At about 2:35 of his video (below) he points out the plastic piece that needs to be removed and modified so that the lamp can be mounted directly in line with the blade. Simple enough.

Alright, I'm going to do this. I ordered the lamp, it shows up today and I head down to the shop.

Here's the part that needs to be modified:

Here's what my saw looks like:
Oh well, I'm sure I'll find another use for the lamp.

Full video here:

DerbyDad03

On 9/1/2020 1:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Be somewhat more effort, but don't see why couldn't be made to work...

Reply to
dpb

Good luck with that. I of course have the Kapex with dual laser. I still prefer the zero clearance insert for a reference.

But then again, I use stops for accurate repeated cuts.

Reply to
Leon

The plastic "cap" on the 12" Bosch comes off with 2 screws and the lamp fits underneath it. The lamp sits on top of the aluminum casing. You just need to open up the front of the plastic cap a little so that it can sit back down on the saw's body in its original position, encasing the lamp.

The lamp has to go under the cap in order for the blade guard to clear it.

On my 10" there is no plastic "cap". That "cap" on my saw is part of the aluminum housing itself. There is nothing that can be removed.

I'm not about to cut into the body of my $600 saw to mount a $7 lamp.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In most cases I use the gap in the zero clearance fence as my guide. The lamp would mainly be used for the random angled cut, like the one for center divider in the scrap bin I made. The angle was marked via measurements on the cutting diagram, so the shadow line would be an easy way to set the saw to match. (That's actually how I found out about the mod. The scrap cart guy mentioned it in the build video so I took a look at the vid he made when he installed the lamp. Same guy)

Same here, but as I said, the shadow line could be useful at times, just like your dual lasers probably are. For $7 it was worth a try, but alas, it won't work on my saw.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a laser similar to an Oshlun Miter And Portable Saw Laser Guide, LG-M01 on my Delta "10. Price I saw at online Walmart was $26.66.

It will distort threw the blade guard, but works once you move the saw.

Reply to
Markem

As long as it will fit in there (and I'd bet the dimensions are the same), all it would take would be a couple drilled/tapped holes to use to mount a bracket and an exit for the power feed. If you used one of the battery-powered ones, wouldn't need the last.

Reply to
dpb

On 9/1/2020 1:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: > On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 4:11:35 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote: >> On 9/1/2020 1:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: >> ... >>

With the right impact, edged, and/or thermal tools and ample energy applied anything can be removed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's a bet you'd lose.

The OD of the lamp is 15/16". The ID of the "cap" opening is 23/32".

Maybe the *OD* of the caps on the 10" and the 12" are the same, but the plastic cap on the 12" has much thinner walls than the body of my saw. Plus they probably give a little.

Did you not think I checked that before I posted that it wouldn't work? If it would have fit, I'd have posted pictures of the final result instead. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep. The lamp has been removed from the vicinity of my saw. Didn't require any tools and very little energy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why do you need to use the same lamp? There are many light sources of size and shape which could be modified to fit on your saw.

Reply to
Hawk

The battery of my laser light doesn't last very long. It becomes a pain to change it often. I like the light idea to avoid that.

Reply to
Hawk

Mine has been in it for ten years, still works.

Reply to
Markem

Well, he doesn't. But he already purchased it after watching the video thinking it would work. See subject.

Elijah

------ obviously he should just reshape the lamp

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Does Festool make a lamp reshaper?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Understood and read that but that's no reason to have to stick with it when you realize it won't work. I can't imagine it being that expensive and could be used for a future project.

Reply to
Hawk

Who said anyone was planning on sticking with it?

What "it" are you referring to?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The light/lamp.

Reply to
Hawk

You don't have to imagine how inexpensive it is. I have stated at least

3 times how much it cost.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

:) at ~$7, hardly a leap... I wish that's all each my faux pas ended up costing me ;)

Reply to
Brian Welch