Mini Sliding Miter Saw??

I was watching a Classic This Old House episode this morning. It showed a house that was being worked on in Hawaii. There was a lot of discussion about the unique, tropical building practices in the Island State.

Norm was cutting some wide boards to length. They actually would build walls with just plywood or single boards. Yep, a 3/4" wall. They just toe nailed it top and bottom. These wall had little structural strength.

What caught my eye was the little cutoff saw he used. It had two shiny tubes like many sliding miter saws. But this saw was a mini saw, like the ones used to cut plywood. I don't even think it could cut inch and a half stock. It was quite small and looked very portable. Norm was cutting 1 X 8's with it. I would think that it would only really be good for straight cuts.

Has anybody seen anything like this? And would it be a good tool to have? My feelings is that anything that small would not be very durable. But it would almost fit onto a toolbelt or into a toolbox.

Anyhow, I have never seen such a small cutoff saw. I wonder if it came from another country and it was only sold in Hawaii.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Its an older Delta Saw buck. They used to be the thing before the SCMS became the standard.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Bosch?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

"B a r r y" wrote

No, nothing like this. I have seen this tool in use by folks who install baseboards and molding. It looks handy for certain applications.

The saw on the show was just like a standard sliding miter saw. But the saw was about a third of the size of the standard saw. Again, it looked like those little plywood saws. Maybe a three inch blade on it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels