Mesquite scraps

I recently finished laying a mesquite floor here in the western suburbs of Chicago. (In fact, they're downstairs sanding as I type this.) As such, I have a quantity of scraps that I was going to throw out. Before I do, I thought I would just ask if anyone might want them. I don't know if they'd be good for smoking meat, but I thought I'd just ask before discarding them since it's not a wood we see much of up here.

todd

Reply to
todd

Provided they're ONLY mesquite and do not have some kind of finish or preservative(s), they would be excellent in a smoker (particularly for brisket, ribs, or sausage). Just don't get the smoke too heavy or smoke the meat for too long as extended heavy smoking can impart a bad taste. You might want to soak them in water for a while to prevent their burning up too quickly.

Tex

Reply to
Tex

Next to pecan, my favorite smoking wood. It they're not contaminated with finish, soak in water and use some on top of your coals the next time you "throw a steak/shrimp on the barbie".

Reply to
Swingman

Heh. "Shrimp on the barbie" makes me smirk when Australians say it. When I hear an American use it I want to laugh right out loud.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I'll triple cooking with Mesquite if they are too small to be useful. Thin Mesquite would make excellent inlay or highlight material also.

Reply to
Leon

Go ahead ... folks who haven't traveled much further than the couch in front of the TV often have that reaction to the phrase. On that note, it was rare in the old days (in the early 60's, when Americans where rare as hens teeth down under) to hear an Aussie use the word "shrimp" ... they mostly called them prawns.

Reply to
Swingman

LOL... They started calling them Shrimp when the prawns shrunk. I have seen prawns a few times and they are BIG.

Reply to
Leon

The pieces are mostly right triangles with 5" sides. I'll probably keep some in case I get a smoke box for my charcoal grill, but I've got way more than I need. I just thought I'd try to share the wealth.

todd

Reply to
todd

Pie pan & foil = smoke box.

Since it is a charcoal grill, just toss some of the wood on top of the coals.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You willing to ship them north? I don't get down near Chicago much, but I'd be happy to get my mitts on them for inlay and segmented turnings.

Reply to
Prometheus

If you pay the shipping, I'll put em in a box. Send me an email...my reply email is valid.

todd

Reply to
todd