Re: Cabinet Saw Opinions???

I have had both the Unisaw, and just recieved my new Jet Xacta saw. Have only used it for a few weeks but love it. In fact I would recommend it over the Delta. Just look at the 2 side by side and you will see the fit and finish of the Jet is better. The unisaw I had had the metal motor cover, now it is all plastic, the hand wheels are not as finished as they should be. And if you need service on that Delta, Good luck. I have sold all my Delta products, and will never own them again. And Delta owes it to themselves, for not owning up to a problem they had with the table on their 14" closed stand bandsaw, that was a major saftey hazard. had a Delta bench grinder lasted litterally 30 minutes, capacitor gave up. Now for a Jet story, purchased a 17" drill press, chuck was out about .0013, called them they sent a new one out the same day. The funny thing was she did not ask for any proof that I even purchased it. and when I asked where I needed to send the old one, they responded keep it or throw it. That is service. In fact at my local Woodcraft today one of the sales ppl. told me about Jet replacing a large Lathe and did not request the old one back. I guess the best thing I can say is just look at the 2 side by side and see for your self. Delta built a reputation years ago when I think they actually cared, now it is just about the bottom line.

All, > > Has anyone owned or used any of the following table saws. If so, I would be > interested on any feed back (the good, bad, and the ugly) you may have > regarding them. Thanks, Bill > > Cabinet Saws > Grizzly G1023SL or G1023Z > General 50-260M-1 > Shop Fox W1677 > Jet Xacta Saw 708663PK > Hybrids > Dewalt Woodworker's table saw DW746XB or variant > Jet Supersaw 708777K or variant > >
Reply to
TAP

Ramsey

YOu say "funny thing" that you weren't asked for proof of purchase. I've had numerous items replaced via phone tech support from Delta and other suppliers, without them asking for POP. You are making a big deal out of SOP.

The fit and finish on my Unisaw is fine. Yes, I've had issues with a Delta BS, but my DP works like a champ and so does my Unisaw. I can't comment on the Jet, since it isn't one of units that made my short list when I was looking for a new TS. I looked mostly at the Powermatic and Unisaw. I briefly looked at the General too, which looked ok. Any of the 3 would be fine for most woodworkers, as I'm sure your Jet is also.

What is the safety issue with the table on the Delta BS, BTW?

dave

TAP wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I did ... and chose the Delta. Go figure ...

Reply to
Swingman

First Jet product I bought was a drill press. Took it home, assembled it by myself (17" model) and dreamed of all the little holes I would soon be boring with my new dream machine. Then I turned it on. And turned it off and never used it. I have NEVER seen such bad runout on a drill press in my life and I have seen some really mistreated machines. I cleaned the chuck, carefully examined how I put it back together and it still amazed me with the amount of runout. It was SO bad, I didn't even bother to measure it. Eliptical holes were not something I was into at the time. Have heard since they let a TON of those drill presses loose on the public. Didn't care. Sold mine to a friend who was a machinist and insisted he would take care of it. Now I own a Jet shaper and bandsaw and love them so I can only figure they had a really bad batch of chucks or something. I do like the huge drill press Delta has ($850) so I will go after it when I get a job. But I don't think I wil ever spring for a Jet drill press again. I know friends who have ownded Delta products that were junk so I think we are back to the Ford/Chevrolet/Chrysler argument again. Of course, everyone knows Chev's are the best.

Reply to
Ramsey

Just considering the less than $1,000 crowd (the DeWalt 746 and the Jet Super) They are very similar but... Jet has put a REALLY crappy fence on the Super saw. I think they are very similar otherwise but I would surly go with the DeWalt just for the fence.

Also both of these saws will run fine on 20 amp circuts. You need to make sure you have the juice for the other saws.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

The grizzly is just under 1000. I have one. Heavy, simple, works. I like it.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I have several Delta machines and several Jet.

I don't think either company is a clear winner all the time.

I have two Jet bandsaws. Love them both although their mobile bases suck.

I really love my Unisaw. I did compare it side by side with the Jet and preferred the Unisaw. I also have a Unifence. Not available on the Jet.

I have had great customer service from Delta. No complaints here.

I don't think you would go wrong with either the Unisaw or Xacta.

You have to find what you prefer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Pick up a new copy of Wood (I think). They review a number of cabinet saws.

Reply to
Steve

I own the Jet JTAS 10L cabinet saw. Have had it for 3 years and am very pleased with it. When I was shopping it was a toss up between it and the Delta Unisaw until I was able to compare them side by side. The Jet won.

Reply to
Leon

I'd be happy to ... but have you done a google search yet for this newsgroup for opinions on these? I know there are many posts on these models, such as the Supersaw, because I used them to help me decide to recently get the DW 746. Even just skimming the subject lines over the past 3-4 weeks of posts here would lead you to many assessments of table saws.

Reply to
Igor

I have a DW746 with every possible option (except the low-profile fence). I love it; it's solid, it has plenty of power, and sets up easily. The fence on it is good and easy to square. My only complaint with the whole saw is that the design of the fence can make it difficult to make jigs that slide along the fence.

If you're at all low on space and want cabinet saw performance with something that's still relatively easy to move around the shop, it's not a bad way to start. Excellent beginner's saw (and that's from Kelly Mahler, not me).

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas