Semi OT - Zen - Wood - Peace

Obviously, I'm not very busy today. And this will ramble a bit. Feel free to pass on this.

ZEN - From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn) Zen n 2: a Buddhist doctrine that enlightenment can be attained through direct intuitive insight [syn: {Zen Buddhism}]

I suppose you could say some of my woodworking (as well as other aspects of life and creativity come to me thru Zen). A couple of days ago I posted a Rounding Question at news:rec.crafts.woodworking on roughing square stock in a lathe using a hand power planer, if anyone had ever done it, and the results. Everyone though I was completely bonkers for even thinking of it, so went ahead and tried it. Worked like a champ, with the exception of the fact that the planer took the wood down really, really, fast. Loads of fun tho. Next time I think I'll make some sort of jig to only allow the planer to go down so far.

WOOD - From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide) Wood \Wood\, v. i. To grow mad; to act like a madman; to mad. --Chaucer. [1913 Webster]

Well, that's what was in the dictionary, and I've often enough been accused of bing nuts. LMAO

PEACE - From WordNet (r) 2.0 (wn) peace n 3: the absence of mental stress or anxiety [syn: {peacefulness}, {peace of mind}, {repose}, {serenity}, {heartsease}, {ataraxis}]

What can I say? Wood in the right perspective brings absence of stress - peace. One example of this is toilet paper - lack of toilet paper, which is derived from wood, can cause extreme stress. So, anytime the local store has 24 packs on sale, I usually get one. And, yes a 24 pack, not one of those "equivalent" to type. With the equivalent type I don't trust the thickness and wind up using move layers and that winds up being more expensive then just using the regular type in the first place. Noting relieves stress like knowing you've got more toilet paper if the roll you're using runs out. At present I have about 100 rolls, 3 new packs of 24 each, and two opened. And, when you open a pack, you can then stack the unused rolls in pyramids, towers, etc., when is always handy in case you run out of reading material, and next time you use a roll, you wind up stacking them in an entirely different design.

Picked up one of the flat-rate boxes at the post office, figuring to mail some stuff I've made. Well, the box inside size is 11" X 8 1/2" X 5 1/2". Wouldn't cha know it? My stull measures 11+" X 7 1/2" X 7

1/2". Aarrgh. Ah ha you say, major design change. Not really, a bit of Zen, and changed the design to approx 10 7/8" X 7 1/2" X 5 3/8". No prob.

Zen - Wood - Peace. Life is basically good.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

"J T" snip

rec.crafts.woodturning

I suppose any tool with a sharp blade will remove wood. Some more rapidly than others. Maybe next time you could try a chainsaw and let us know.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Wed, Jun 14, 2006, 1:39pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org (Teamcasa) doth sayeth: rec.crafts.woodturning I suppose any tool with a sharp blade will remove wood. Some more rapidly than others. Maybe next time you could try a chainsaw and let us know.

How come my spellcheck didn't catch that? news:rec.crafts.woodturning

Chainsaw? That'd be redicilus, everyone knows chainsaws are for carving.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

are you the guy who actually read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Reply to
bent

I read it in preparation for an extended motorcycling tour of the western Americas. My plan was to take a BMW 1150GS from somewhere in Alaska down into Chile. Instead I moved to Colorado and skied for a few years. Probably a good thing, for at the time I'd likely have killed myself on that bike. I'd still like to do it someday though.

JP

******************************************** "Investment Biker" was a little better.
Reply to
Jay Pique

I would have killed myself if I had to finish that book

Reply to
bent

I read it intending a similar trip and ended up going east in a car. No insult to the OP.

Reply to
bent

Wed, Jun 14, 2006, 7:33pm snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (bent) doth query: are you the guy who actually read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Nope. But, I do own an old VHS copy of The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, but I've never watched it. Every time I try, it puts me to sleep. Strange, becaue the book was actaully pretty good.

JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Reply to
J T

I also had a box set of a reading of the book on cassettes. Giddy.

Reply to
bent