Makita model 2012 planer

Got it used for $100. Is it a good planer? It's the only one I know where the motor is stationary and the platform adjusts in height. All the others I've seen, it's the motor height that adjust which seems better since it's easier to build extensions for it....

I read one review that said it's light and easily portable. Two things I don't really care about since I don't move it in my shop -- at least not very often.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Got it used for $100. Is it a good planer? It's the only one I know where the motor is stationary and the platform adjusts in height. All the others I've seen, it's the motor height that adjust which seems better since it's easier to build extensions for it....

I read one review that said it's light and easily portable. Two things I don't really care about since I don't move it in my shop -- at least not very often.

Reply to
Never Enough Money
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

For $100 working it's a great planer.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

I've had one for several years and it's always done good stuff for me. I've been buying replacement blades from Highland Hardware (on the 3rd set). For $100, it's great. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I have no idea why my post appeared twice....

Thanks for the responses. No one seems to care about the platform versus motor going up/down.... I notice the Makita web page does not list the 2012 anymore, just the 2012NB in which the motor moves up/down, not the platform.

Thanks for the tip on blades at Highland hardware!

Reply to
Never Enough Money
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

In regards to that...it's never been a problem, it has only recently been discontinued from Makitas line up & all parts are still available for that model which is the main thing, The 2012 was a great portable 12" Planer & if you need blades for it see here:

you need accessories like the blades, magnetic blade holders, wrenches or even the dust hood we normally even have them in stock.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

You are welcome. I bought it new from Highland - they had some sort of clearance on them some years ago. Good price but I can't recall what it was (that's a neat capability to have).

The platform moving is a problem if you want to build extensions to the in and out wings. Not a major problem, but my next planer will have a stationary platform. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I've got that one and as a matter of fact just finished working a piece of hickory. Great machine that I've used for years and would recommend for a portable.

Reply to
Bruce Litherland