Looking for a knife blade for a scroll saw

Hi, Using a scroll saw, I want to cut through a rubber sheet that is

1/16th of an inch and it has a 1/8" cushion attached to it. I have been told that I would need a knife blade to accomplish this as other blades would cause the rubber to jump up and down. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase such a blade? I've looked at several websites but haven't been able to find a supplier. I haven't purchased my scroll saw yet but will likely get a 16" variable speed. Thank you for any help that you can give! Melissa
Reply to
Melissa

Eddie Munster

Not really as the rubber contains about 15 designs on it that I wiill be cutting out so I will need to see what I am cutting. Thanks :)

Reply to
info

I think the suggestion may have been a good one, though, if you substitute a thin sheet of acrylic plastic for the top sheet of wood. My local lumber yard carries this stuff as 0.1" safety glazing that sells for about $2 per 16" x 20" sheet.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Use plexiglass for the top piece.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

That is a good suggestion but I will be cutting hundreds of these rubber sheets and need to keep my costs down as much as possible.

Reply to
info

Melissa...

If the sheets are identical, you could have them laser cut (but I have no idea where or what the cost might be) - otherwise this sounds like a perfect excus^H^H^H^H^H justification to go shopping for a band saw (which will /not/ lift the rubber sheet.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

on 3/24/2005 4:50 PM snipped-for-privacy@pinkcatstudio.com said the following:

Perhaps the confusion comes from your use of scroll saw.

I have seen knife blades for sabre saws (sometimes called scroll saws if the mandrel is rotatable?).

If you're set on using a scroll saw as is used for fretwork, i.e. blade held at both ends by pin or clamp, I can't help you.

If you can somehow manage to cut the rubber with a sabre saw, look here:

Sears sells the knife blade as:

Craftsman 3 in. Sabre Saw Blade, Knife Edge, 2 pk. for $1.89

Sears item #00928814000 Mfr. model #28814

For use on linoleum, rubber and leather. Blades of high- Carbon Steel, heat-treated and austempered for durability. Individually ground teeth for the sharpest edge.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

For cutting 1/16" rubber with a 1/8" foam backing wouldn't a utility knife suffice?

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

You might try grinding the teeth off a blade and sharpening the edge. Sounds a bit tedious. Jerry

Reply to
Deborah Buerfeind

I don't think you'll ever find such a blade, Melissa. Scroll saws just aren't designed for that kind of material. A $100 9-inch band saw with a

1/8" blade would be ideal.

To make scroll saw knife blade, you might start with a very thin piece of suitably sized spring steel and have the edge ground sharp. But it would act as a wedge and curves might be difficult.

Maybe you could use a hot knife? There would be some nasty fumes as you burned through the material, I'm sure. You can buy them at hobby shops, even Wal Mart or eBay. Here's how to build one if you're so inclined:

David Hakala

Well, how about putting the blade in backwards? Only the middle part works, so start with a fairly wide blade and sharpen the back. I think with a little practice one might be able to sharpen the edge by installing the blade in the saw and sharpening with a small stone in a Dremel tool. You might even be able to hone the edge by running the saw and holding a stone against the blade.

What are the pieces, rubber stamps?? Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Yes, they are rubber stamps. I would need a small blade as the designs are very intricate. I have heard that other rubber stamp companies use scoll saws to cut out their stamps. One person orders special blades from Scroll America and she is going to get me the item number of the blades. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!

Reply to
info

Get the thinnest blade you have with the least set, then put it in backwards. Works fine for neoprene, you might need to sharpen it a little for tougher rubbers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley