Scroll saw

Looking to add a scroll saw to my shop. Would like bevel in excess of the

45 degree max I have seen in my admittedly cursory search. Seems like ther e are a couple at the $100 or less price point then a jump to $450 and up. Anyone have thoughts on this one from HF?
Or this one from Sears:

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Looking to add a scroll saw to my shop. Would like bevel in excess of the

45 degree max I have seen in my admittedly cursory search. Seems like there are a couple at the $100 or less price point then a jump to $450 and up. Anyone have thoughts on this one from HF?
Or this one from Sears:

Thanks,

Larry, After reading the BAD reviews I would not buy either. Are there not better brands out there? A cheap tool is not worth the hassle too use. WW

Reply to
WW

I bought a Delta scroll saw about 22 years ago. POS it was... IIRC it was $130.

IMHO you don't want to scrimp if you intend to use it regularity. Blades break often so the ones that are the fastest to change will be the one you will want to use more.

Reply to
Leon

I certainly would not waste my money on one from HF. The craftsman one is marginally better. If you need to go that cheap, I recommend finding a used Dremel.

That being said, you'd be better off finding a used DeWalt or Delta. A way better machine that will last you for years. I have a DeWalt and love it. Rock solid machine I bought second hand for $200. I've had it for over four years and it's still going strong. All it needed when I got it was a little elbow grease to clean up the light rust from the table top. One of the best deals I've gotten.

One day I will upgrade to an Excalibur but that's another story.

Reply to
Casper

saw-93012.html.

I have a Craftsman like the one in the link, it's ok for occasional use but you will be happier with a better quality saw.

It is cheap in every sense of the word.

Blades changes are slow and difficult.

In order to dampen the vibrating, it should be fastened to a something that weighs several hundred pounds.

It does provide one with a great sense of relief, when the job is done.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

LOL I for got about the vibration that the cheap ones have. Put foam rubber on the bottom and you have yourself a back massager! LOL

Reply to
Leon

I'll second the DeWalt. Best scroll saw for the money. There are a couple that are better but the prices are up over $1000. The DeWalt is almost as good for less money - as low as $400 f0r a reconditioned one or $500 and up for a new one.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You can stand a nickel on edge on the DeWalt while it's running :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
mungedaddress

I have the dewalt, I picked it up at a garage sale for $85... it's awesome. Smooth as silk..

Reply to
woodchucker

No doubt, If I were to get another it would probably be a DeWalt.

As for the nickle tent on my old Delta, you could lay the coin face down, turn on the saw, and watch the coin flip face up.

Well that might a bit of an exaggeration. ;~O)

Reply to
Leon