Tool question

I need a band saw type of machine. I say type, because I do not need a large band saw to make big cuts, but rather a small one with a blade with up and down motion to cut small designs and pieces.

Is there a standard in the industry for a decent one of these that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or will any old one do? I need one that has the blade at least one foot from the back. I guess that would be called the throat? I will do small pieces, but if I ever want to do something a little bigger, it would do it.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

It sounds like you want a scroll saw.

If you really want a band saw, here's a small one for $200:

's only a 10" saw, though.

Reply to
krw

Yep scroll saw. They used to be more popular than they are now. Big among older hobbiests doing cute patterns. Check craigs list under tools for scroll saw. You can find them for $50 and less. Like this

SonomaProducts.com

Yep scroll saw. They used to be more popular than they are now. Big among older hobbiests doing cute patterns. Check craigs list under tools for scroll saw. You can find them for $50 and less. Like this

just pay $60 - $100 more and get a new one:

the warranty.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Has the advantage over a bandsaw that it can do blind holes.

Reply to
Robatoy

> with the warranty.

Or get one for $70 total (less the ubiquitous 20% off coupons) here:

HeyBub

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

> with the warranty.

I'm cheap. I needed a motor for my mixer. I put an ad on freecycle.org, and a lady e mailed me within an hour. She had one kicking around her garage her husband had left when he left. A NEW 1.5 hp 110/220 Dayton. She just wanted it gone. I gave her some free Slurpee coupons for her kids. Haven't checked it yet, but it has to be worth a hundred and fifty.

I'm a scrounger and cheapster. Most of the time it works out, and if it dies, I don't have a lot in it. I do not have a problem parting with money for quality goods, though, if I use them to create income, or depend on their reliability.

In today's market, it's a buyer's market. Got a 6 hp. Karcher power washer the other day for $30. The POS Husky is $100 at HD.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

The handtool for this is a coping saw, with a jig called a bird's- mouth (really just a notched board to support the work). Fine blades for a jewelry saw can be employed to make narrow cuts.

A rod saw or wiresaw blade can make cuts in any direction. Conductive materials can be cut by electrical discharge (but this is a woodworking group, so that's probably not relevant).

If you get tired of doing it by hand, scroll saw or jigsaw or bandsaw motorized tools do about the same thing. If you want a REAL power tool, laser numerically controlled gizmos are the next big step up. Somewhere in the same vicinity are fluid-jet cutters (water and abrasive will go through hard materials well, but I'm not sure how well they'd work on wood).

Beware, though, using a fine blade means you aren't getting carbide- tool blade life. It's gonna take a fifty-pack of blades to grow proficient with a scrollsaw. A fine tooth bandsaw blade has thousands of teeth in contact with the cut, a jigsaw will use the same dozen teeth over and over until they get dull...

Reply to
whit3rd

The handtool for this is a coping saw, with a jig called a bird's- mouth (really just a notched board to support the work). Fine blades for a jewelry saw can be employed to make narrow cuts.

Change the word coping to fret.

Reply to
CW

Coping saws cost a buck at flea markets. I used to buy hack saw blades

10for $1.00,untill my SIL got me two from sears for x-mis ten years ago. I can saw all day and they don't pop on the second stroke. Buy one good one and don't waste your money on China CRAP!!!! Jr.

Jerry - OHIO

The handtool for this is a coping saw, with a jig called a bird's- mouth (really just a notched board to support the work). Fine blades for a jewelry saw can be employed to make narrow cuts.

IIRC, Dremel used to make a powered version. No table. Hand held. See them now and again a flea markets.

Or build your own foot powered scroll saw:

Lobby Dosser

If you intend to do fine quality inlay or nice cuts you want to get a good saw that the blade moves up and down. The typical low cost machine moves in an arc and a lot of chatter and movement will occur.

I forget the brand name but it is RED IIRC - a friend had one.

Had a unique name. Not a common name of other hand tools.

Mart> >> I need a band saw type of machine. I say type, because I do not need a

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hegner.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yep, although at the Hegner price at about $1400 I'd opt for the DeWalt

788 at around $500

Nova

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

fine. I use my $35 Delta 13" occasionally and it suffices.

I found an old Workmate at a garage sale this morning for ten bucks. It appears to be about 6x more functional and sturdy than my $18 HF workmutt clones.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That sounds like it it - Hegner.

Thanks Mart>> If you intend to do fine quality inlay or nice cuts you want to get

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn