oversized scroll saw?

I am trying to find a saw that will cut through 4 1/4" of wood with no more than 1/16" cutting gap. A band saw will not be able to make the tight turns needed. Do you have any suggestions?

Reply to
fletch

Of course a bandsaw with a 1/16in wide blade will make ANY tight turn you need. Never scroll saw that would handle that thickness. Put that teeny-tiney 1/6th or 1/8th blade on the bandsaw and you should be go to go

John

Reply to
John

Find someone that does abrasive jet cutting in your area and farm it out.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

As John said, 1/8" bandsaw blade ought to make the grade unless you're trying to do insides. With small blade, have a couple sets of guide blocks - phenolic or wood - available to steady the blade.

Reply to
George

Fine Woodworking Sept 1980, #24 p 60: Building a walking beam saw; poor man's bandsaw has almost unlimited capacity. author: White It's also in one of their paperback books but I can't find it on their website now. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

So with a 1/16th bandsaw blade I can make a 90 degree cut through 4

1/4" of solid wood? Do I need a special band saw? Where can I get such small blades and how often do they snap?
Reply to
fletch

Lenox makes 1/16th bandsaw blades, do a Google Search on "1/16th BandSaw Lenox" should turn up a source or 2

Most woodworking BIG catalogs and places like Highland Hardware will make custom blades for just about any bandsaw

And yes, if you force them, they will snap, but with a little care you should get a goodly amount of use out of them

And lastly, they will cut just as SHARP a turn (approaching a true

90degree) as any jig saw/scroll saw will. And you can usually come at the corner from 2 directions to get a TRUE 90degree intersection

John

Reply to
John