Light, strong, not springy, wood for a skateboard?

I can buy a cheap skateboard for $20 US, but I would prefer to cut my own. I do not want concave or springy, it needs to be strong and lightweight flat wood. Anything readily available at the local hardware stores that might work for a skateboard deck? Ordinary 1" x

8" (or 12") wood? Plywood?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Ash? Hickory? Stuff of baseball bats.

Reply to
krw

Get the best strength with 3 or more thin glued-up layers of clear hardwood. Which wood you use will determine the weight.

Reply to
Phisherman

John Doe wrote in news:4c0edec7$0$8801$c3e8da3 @news.astraweb.com:

For something that's strong and will stand up well, I'd look for a really good plywood. Chances are a 3/4" sheething grade plywood won't stand up to the kinds of stresses a skateboard takes.

Get plywood with as many layers as you can find. For something like a

3/4" plywood with 15+ layers, you may have to start looking at more specialty places.

FWIW, most boards sold as "1x" (one-by) are really only 3/4" thick. Widths are also smaller, dimensional "x8" lumber is probably only 7 1/4" wide (Maybe it's 7 1/8"?).

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Baltic Birch plywood. The stuff drawers are made from in many places.

8" (or 12") wood? Plywood?

Thanks.

Reply to
Josepi

There is a reason they use plywood. Get some Baltic birch.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

you might be able to make one of these kits work for you. Seem like a good fun way to go.

Jeffo

work for a skateboard deck? Ordinary 1" x

You surely need plywood and baltic birch would be a good place to star. Probably 1/2".

The amount and direction of allowable bending is called compliance. If you want certain characteristics of stiffness in one direction but compliance in another you can take a lesson from the carbon fiber industry.

If you made your own plywood from thin sheets of veener you could align the grain all in one direction to have stiffness in one plane and compliance in another. Or mostly all in one direction with a few plys in an alternate direction for mostly stiff and lostly compliant in each direction, etc.

Heck, maybe you should look into carbon fiber sheets or maybe even fiberglass.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Light, strong, not springy wood... that's what she said.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Rolls of thin wood to make your own plywood. You want all hardwood. You want water-proof glue. Not white or yellow. Maybe (Maybe) liquid nail stuff. Apple-ply - but you want a little bend in the ends.

The curved deck was developed over years of riding. Easier when skating.

I have (my sons) a deck that is likely 3.5' long and at least 12" wide.

It was a trick and fun one. Trucking types are narrow and long. More like a ski.

Use quality trucks and mounting system. They save ankles.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yeah, that would be nice. The only plywood I could find at Lowe's was five ply (or maybe even just three ply, whatever it was). Of course there are other hardware stores.

Yeah, I can see that. I will probably have to adjust what I got.

I received two Randal trucks today, the narrowest and the widest, from their website. I need only one truck, but the unused truck will provide lots of spare parts and a different angle base plate that is interchangeable. They look very good compared to a $20 skateboard truck. They also sell some floating axle type of truck for $120 US, but the electric scooter I am making right now is just a prototype and for my own personal use.

Reply to
John Doe

chaniarts