Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

I'm a newbie. Wondering why the forstner drill bit sets seem to increment by 1/8", with no 5/16 7/16 etc.

Reply to
gray asphalt

Cost? I noticed the same thing (needed a 7/16ths, so had to order it). Sucks not having a woodworking store within 100mi.

Reply to
krw

They are not used as much. Given a choice, I'd buy the kit without them. I've never used those sizes so I'm not willing to pay for them just to have around. I bought a cheap set to start with and have bough better quality replacements for the sizes that I do use and wore out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd tend to agree but the first one I needed was 7/16ths. Go figure.

Reply to
krw

Lots of ?/16 sizes here.

Upscale

(can't just order a drill bit...).

Reply to
krw

I want to feel guilty having a Woodcraft four miles from my front door, but being able to pick up a ten dollar router bit makes up for it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

------------------------------ So that you will buy that 7 pc, brad point drill set for those sizes

1/2" and below and use the carbide forstner set for 5/8" and above.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well, that's the idea isn't it? You have to buy in quantity if you want to get anything approaching a decent cost per bit ratio. In any event, if you're even just a marginal woodworker, a set of forstner bits approaches the must-have threshold as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Swingman

If you want a set with both the 1/8th and 1/16th increment bits, Rockler has this set:

you all ready have a set of bits with the 1/8th increments and just need the 1/16th increments, there is this set from Rockler:

all ready had a set of Forstner bits and got the additional 1/16th increment bits to fill things out. I think I got mine on sale, but the regular price of $28 isn't too bad.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

Same reason K-Mart's Dinnerware sets don't come with shrimp cocktail/ escargot forks?

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

It's a *small* consolation that Woodcraft doesn't charge AL sales tax on mail order. For pretty much the entire last year they've had free shipping, so other than the wait it's not all bad. We go up to Birmingham or Atlanta every couple of months so I can get my fix. Atlanta is an automatic triple play (the car has memorized the Peachtree-to-Woodcraft-to-Rockler route ;).

Reply to
krw

Whoosh!

Reply to
krw

I was wondering if maybe forstner bits were used for some purpose I didn't know about that never required 16ths. I bought a Milwaukee set, very cheap. So far two of the bits work great, really, but the third is dull and since it's 3/8 I wonder if i will be able to sharpen it. I'm thinking about ordering another set and combining the good from each and sending back the duds.

Reply to
gray asphalt

--------------------------------------- Low purchase price bits will be some of the MOST EXPENSIVE bits you will ever own.

If you can return them, do so, if not, drop them in the circular file and move on.

Freud has a great set of carbide forstner bits.

Had a set for over 10 years, no regrets.

About $100, but you only cry once.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or replace the dull bits with carbide bits as you use them. Some may stay sharp forever. ;-)

Reply to
krw

replying to krw, Roycoola wrote: You ever heard of Amazon, ebay, woodcraft, rocker, woodworkers supply, grizzly, infinity, peachtree.........

Reply to
Roycoola

Thread from 2010.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, and since 2010 I now have six very well stocked woodworking stores within and hour's drive[*] - two Rockler, two Woodcraft, Peachtree, and Highland. Of course, it's even easier to just have the sizes needed.

[*] I moved. ;-)
Reply to
krw