Installing 5/16 hardwood flooring

I recently bought some 5/16 by 2-1/4 Bellawood Brazilian Walnut floor but I can't find the right size floor nailer at any of the local (Charlottesville, VA) rental centers. I prefer nailing, although glueing is an option. Is it possible to use any other power device to install this very hard flooring? Can I use a pneumatic nailer? Is so, what kind of nails should I use? Is there any special attachment for a nailer to be used on flooring? Should these be available at a typical rental center? (The chances I'll do another floor installation are slim. I doesn't make sense to buy this equipment for one job.)

Reply to
Terry Ryan

Don't get too hung up on having a pneumatic nailer. Since you cannot find a suitable nailer locally then you may have no choice but to hand nail. It's no big deal especially for "one job".

You may need to pre-drill your nail holes to prevent splitting the wood. Drill a holes slightly smaller than the diameter of the nail and use your good old fashioned hammer. Then use a nail set to put the head of the nail flush. You can do a much nicer job with a hammer though not as fast.

Reply to
Lawrence