brad nailer, hardwood floor install

I'm about to lay a hardwood floor. Choices include glue or nailing. I have a Milwaukee brad nailer. Will this work or do I really need to rent a flooring nailer?

Reply to
franz frippl

I did maple floors with walnut inlays about eight years ago. In some of the spots where I couldn't get a good swing with the nailer, I used a trim nailer, bigger nails than a brad nailer but not so big as a framing nailer and definitely smaller than the nails that come out of a flooring nailer. I've had no problems at all with the floor staying in place and that's with three kids, moving grand pianos across the floors, etc. Keep in mind, however, that the spots where I couldn't swing the hammer are not the highest traffic spots but I don't see any problem with it at all. If this is solid wood flooring, I don't know that you can glue it.

Reply to
smcjensen

Depends. How long do you want it to last? Couple of weeks?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you are talking about 3/4" wood, the "nails" used to nail it are serrated cleats. Rent the nailer and use them.

For the boards that have to be face fastened, use countersunk screws and fill hole with face grain plugs (unless you like looking at putty filled nail holes).

Reply to
dadiOH

This link works...

dadiOH

Thanks.

Reply to
franz frippl

re: "moving grand pianos across the floors"

How many grand pianos do you own? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

According to dadiOH :

It's what baseboard is for - hiding the row of face-nails.

Reply to
Chris Lewis