Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

It's handy (for hole steering) to have a variety of Forstners, and for some kinds of dowelling, they're better than brad point. But, a well-chosen three-size set would be enough for me. Brad points (or auger bits with an old brace and bit) remove wood faster, and ride in dowel jigs straighter.

Reply to
whit3rd

3/4" Forstner bits create the perfect hole in pumpkins for the insertion of electric Christmas window candles through the back and for a hole to let the heat out of the top.

Less tearout than a spade bit causes in the soft material.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Although this question was originally asked 9 years ago, Forstner bits can bore flat bottom holes "at an angle", something other bits have difficulty in doing.

Reply to
Leon

That's really a sweet spot for woodworking I moved too and I have a Woodcraft an hour away. Rockler about 100 miles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They make exceptionally clean holes with little or no tear out, too. Flat-bottom holes are their Forté, though. Think Euro-style door hardware.

Reply to
krw

Also filling a flat-bottom hole with hardwood dowel gives endgrain screws a place to bite. Antique bedframes with captive nuts have to be chisel-mortised, but a mode rn barrel nut fits a Forstner-drilled socket nicely.

Reply to
whit3rd

On 8/5/2019 10:47 AM, Leon wrote: ...

They're also able to drill a partial hole off the side of a piece of material nearly impossible with others.

Reply to
dpb

We should probably mention that there are different types of Forstner and some types perform the aforementioned tasks (angles, etc.) better than others.

Here's a decent rundown of the three main types of Forstner bits.

DerbyDad03

You must be retired to have enough time to waste watching youtube. I'd much rather read a text description.

Scott Lurndal

You must be retired to have enough time to waste posting a comment that doesn't make lick of sense.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 10,000 words.

Reply to
Jack

The problem is that youtube video producers insist that they just _have_ to get in all 10,000 words. Borrring!

Reply to
krw

?They are all the same!? is the cruelest gallows humankind ever b uilt.

- Lamine Pearlheart, on stereotypes and sweeping statements.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, the video was about boring, but not all that "Borring"

There are virtually millions and millions of Youtube videos on all subjects. Some have no words at all. Some are excellent, some suck. If you don't have enough common sense to apply some discretion to what you choose to watch, that's your problem.

This particular one referenced is not bad, and has good info in it. For example, I learned Leon should buy a set of Wavy Fisch Forstner bits if he doesn't already own a set or two. They are priced right for the Fesstool market.

If you are bored watching youtube videos, then there is always Dr. Phil,Judge Judy, Real Housewives, dancing with the stars or the fake news on TV.

Reply to
Jack

Or reading a book, or taking a hike, or going for a bike ride, or visiting a Museum or Yosemite, or Monterey, or Santa Cruz, or San Francisco, or Wine Country, or Gold Country, or Lake Tahoe, or Mammoth Mountain or Bear Valley, or Bass Lake, or Pinnacles Nat Park, und so weiter.

Or working in the shop.

Way to much to do to waste it watching TV.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

LOL I bought a large set 30+ years ago, a no name brand made in Austria. I have used the 1-3/8" bit to cut countless hinge holes.

Reply to
Leon

In just the past 3 years I've traveled from Western NY to Vermont, Massachusetts, Nevada, California, Utah, Arizona, Oregon and more. I've hiked in Bryce, Zion and along both the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon. I swam in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans as well as in the shadow of the Hoover Dam. I white water rafted the American River in California (twice) and meandered peacefully through Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River. I got closer to a herd of Bison than I probably should have.

SWMBO and I average 3 miles of walking 4 days a week. I volunteer with the local Soap Box Derby organization. I've built some bookcases, a bed, some sweet speaker stands and few other things. I traveled to 2 other states to help family members move. I do the vast majority of my own home repairs and upgrades. SWMBO and I go to plays, festivals and art shows.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. I still work full time. Yet I somehow manage to squeeze in some youtube, some TV and even some time here in the wRec.

That's why your assumption that I "must be retired" if I watch youtube just didn't make a lick of sense. It's all about time management.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I can read what he wanted to get across, far faster. There were only a few paragraphs worth of information in the whole video. Borrring. A very quick web search brought up all sorts of really good information on the same subject.

Some are good. I enjoyed some of the Garage Woodworking (or whatever the name) videos. Some techniques benefit from video. THis wasn't either good, nor did it have any information in it that wasn't better presented as text (for anyone with a reading level above sixth grade, anyway).

Absolutely no information that benefited from video and narration only got in the way of any information.

You didn't learn much but I could have guessed that before you answered.

Not my style but go ahead. If you can't read, I guess TeeVee is the best you can do.

Reply to
krw

You do know that you can speed up youtube, in some cases up to twice the normal speed, right?

I rarely watch any video at less than 1.5, often at 1.75.

I wonder if you aren't just a little biased since you probably didn't learn anything from that video. If a video has nothing to offer me that I don't already know, I'd find it very boring also. My guess is that if you found an article that relayed the same information that was in that video, you'd be just as bored. If the article was "shorter", you'd simply be bored sooner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm betting he had no clue what a wavy Forstner Bit was, or that Fisch made them in high quality sets...

Personally I love Youtube, but don't watch much wood working videos because after 60 years of woodworking, I have to watch a lot of boring and inaccurate stuff to learn something new. I tend to watch stuff I don't know, or always wanted to do. I like watching machinist do their thing, heavy equipment operators, tree climbers, saw mills, and so on. Being retired, and old and decrepit, I have lots of free time when not doing something constructive. Even when I worked full time, and spent most of my free time in the shop, I still had time for TV, not much, but now I have plenty.

Fools that say they have no time for it seem to waste a lot of it on this silly, mostly "borrrrrring" newsgroup...

Reply to
Jack