Forstner Bits

Sorry to clog up the site with another "which is the best XX to buy" request but I did a google search along with a look at Fine Woodworking Online and couldn't find and reviews of forstner bits.

I am looking for a set of high quality forstner bits that will stay sharp and cut clean holes a long time from now. Any recommendations, good or bad?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

"Frank Drackman" wrote

I have a carbide set by Freud.

They work for me.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I read someone's post the other day about some woods having lots of silica in it while other woods have little. You might be able to drill a hundred holes in white pine but maybe 10 holes in some high silica woods. I have saw blades that have stayed sharp for at least 5 years, If I remove the protective coating and saw some wood they may not stay sharp. In any event in the public shop the bits always semed to be dull. The same bits stay sharper in my house shop. Less use and abuse.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Mine are below average Chinese things.

I'd be interested in recommendations of GOOD ones.

**
**

B A R R Y

but I did a google

reviews of forstner bits.

cut clean holes a long

I have two sets, both cheap and nasty. I would recommend ones that are Titanium plated. Of interest is the design of the cutting edge too. One of my cheap sets is useless and will not bite into the wood, the other is a different design and cuts very easily. I'll go look em up tomorrow and post the name.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

I am also replacing a cheap set, something like 7 bits plus a box for $29.99. I would rather pay more and get a much better set.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Hey David, I have a set from HF that are just as worthless (I bought them in a weak moment - stupid me). Anyway, you can get a little mileage out of that junk heap with a small file. I ran into a desperate need for a couple of sizes and I used a small, triangular file to shapen the center cutters and the circumfrential teeth. It got the job done and didn't even burn the cherry!

Reply to
C & E

"Frank Drackman" wrote

I'm replacing a cheap set, something like 7 bits plus a box for

Then buy the Freud.

About $90 when I bought mine. Add 10%-15%

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have many carbide cutting tools made by Freud and I found them very good. However, I had very good result with forstner bits made with genuine Hight Speed Steel (HSS). I have bit made with Carbon steel and HSS comes really on top. Have a look at:

<marierdj

Reply to
Anonymous

Jim Behning wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

You mean you let your saws just sit there and don't use them? What do you use to make wood shorter, then? ;-)

Interesting post about the silica, and it does make sense...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

CMT and Freud both make excellent carbide sets. The best tool steel set I've ever seen was made by a company called Connecticut Valley, probably under another name today. They were original pattern (no center spur), expensive as hell, and wonderful.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Think TEAK.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have a few Lee Valley HSS bits, and don't have any complaints whatsoever. Very nice quality. Andy

Reply to
Andy

For those who want HSS bits of the ultimate quality (and price):

bit set is about $174.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I got these off eBay

price was right and they do everything I need, but then again, I am not a commercial shop either.

Frank Drackman wrote:

Reply to
mapdude