Forstner bits - why no 5/16, 7/16

Perhaps a Youtube search on "how to move heavy objects" would have helped you figure out how to move your band saw into your basement... Probably not, considering your reading ability, but hey, worth a try

Reply to
Jack

I have two sets, large and small, both cheap I reckon (compared to Fisch for sure). Both I've had and used for at least 20 years. The large set has 2 bits that were dull from day one, the rest are sharp as it gets, and have lasted.

I don't use them constantly though, but they are WAY better than NOT owning a set. I'd love to own a set of Fisch, but can't justify the cost, particularly now that I build much less than in the past. A set of Fisch would last me at least until I'm 150-200 years old...

Reply to
Jack

Some, many, well most, YouTube video's are worthless, especially with woodworking. Every one is a woodworking genius these days, because he or she has a YouTube video. I just saw one a couple of days ago indicating a jig that every one must build. No hints until he actually let you see this first of its kind jig. Then just a picture and no video would have been enough for anyone. The video should have been titled, "It tool me this long to figure this out and what most every other woodworker probably has built.."

Don't get me wrong, I like YouTube, there is some very good advice out there.

Reply to
Leon

+1

Although I do like to watch a few people that are new but willing to take on big projects. Have you ever watched April Wilkinson? Obvious a beginner but not afraid to get her hands dirty and tackle a project of most any size. She built, with help, a huge shop in the Texas hill country and a huge band saw for milling logs. And she is kinda cute.

I like watching machinist do their

;~)

Reply to
Leon

I also like the German brand, Colt. I have never used their Forstner bits but have a collection of their 5Star Twin brad point bits. They never really took off, probably because of their cost. In 1/4" and larger I can drill through a board with out a backer board and you pretty much can not tell which side of the hole the bit started on and which side it exited. No tear out at all. I keep them hidden. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

In this case, no. I didn't really know what they were "teaching", at least not in detail. I found the links to the text descriptions far more efficient than the link to the video. There wasn't really that much information. It's not like a technique for making mortises (for example), where a picture really is worth 1000 words.

Reply to
krw