Leigh D4R-compatible bits...

Anybody have experience w/ the Katana carried by MLCS? On the theme of the alternate thread, is price all-important?

These are roughly a third under either the Woodtek/Woodcraft set or the original Leigh (which are within 10% of each other).

Or, anybody else have other recommendations?

Second query; not related...

Got the jointer knives back and was getting ready to mount/adjust them and find have misplaced the little accessory that locks the cutterhead in place on the old 8" Delta. It's not critical but handy as makes a reference for a fixed knife position for measuring height. I can fabricate one but if somebody has it at hand and could post a rough dimensions sketch would/could save some time...can't believe it's not in the box of stuff... :(

BTW, anybody need a set of HSS 6" knives for Delta and similar heads (old gib-style, not a replaceable/indexed set)? I've had these for ages thinking would eventually use them for something but forgot to let them go w/ the jointer when it left and that's been 20+ yr ago now so don't guess it's likely to happen. They are in good shape, looks like had been used a little after last sharpening before I replaced them w/ the carbide so that just a hand honing looks like would be all needed...

--

Reply to
dpb

My bad; it's the "Super Jig", not the D4R. Difference is is the D4R handles >1/2" dovetail; the Super doesn't...

--

Reply to
dpb

Kantana IIRC is an MCLS exclusive. I would not hesitate to use one for occasional use but would go top quality for a DT jig. You use the heck out of those bits and you want a bit that will hold up and has a proven quality track record.

Reply to
Leon

On 4/11/2012 1:14 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Well, I looked to see if could find a picture of the accessory to use as a mock up before beginning to fabricate and found the old Delta part number. Talk about a mark up! Nearly $100 for a 1" square piece of stamped 1/8" metal w/ a hole/slot...

Item 50 on this schematic...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
tiredofspam

No, it's nothing at all special. I _know_ it's around, just misplaced (and I'll surely find it as soon as I finish).

I wouldn't have posted this other than I was floored first of all that the part number showed up and then when I looked to find the pricing they were expecting... :(

I've almost got a new one fabricated so don't worry much. One can just wedge the head, of course, but with this one doesn't have to fiddle much to get TDC aligned; it does that part pretty well...

--

Reply to
dpb

That's a valid point, Leon. I guess I may just spring for the Leigh set; it's so little additional over the Woodcraft store brand that I really don't know anything about, either...

Leigh Valley makes some but not in 8 mm shank and they're still half-again as much and not the particular small DT bit I want, anyway... I'm sure they're good but if it ain't what want/need the other arguments pale... :)

Reply to
dpb

Actually I would not advise getting a set either. I have the D4 and only have 3~5 for the DT and finger joint Leigh jig. Buy them as you need them.

If you can I would certainly go with the 8mm bits, less chatter.

Reply to
Leon

:~) A shim is a shim....

Reply to
Leon

Well, it isn't really a shim, it's a lock. (And, it's dimensions are pretty close in order for it to align the knife at TDC. It'll be transferring the measurement for the hole location precisely from the blank I've gotten prepared to get that alignment that'll be the key element in replacing it w/ the homegrown copy satisfactorily).

Reply to
dpb

Ohhhhhhhh sorry.

Reply to
Leon

Still, $100 is truly phenomenal which flabbergasted me to the point of posting it for all to marvel (yet again) at how little pricing has to do w/ actual cost/value of the object.

--

Reply to
dpb

Now I really am sorry. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Maybe a bill to back that up with??? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I am not really really sorry, Just really sorry. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Dang.

Reply to