Jointer Knives

I recently purchased a used Delta 37-275X X5 6" jointer. It seems to work great and the current knives on it are fine. I want to get another set or two of knives for it to keep as spares.

From looking around, it appears the type of knives I need are Delta model 37-658. At Amazon[1], these go for about $80. From Googling that model number I see other places that sell the knives for considerably cheaper (anywhere from about $45-$65), but these are web vendors I'm not familiar with.

If the picture of the 37-658 knives at Amazon is an actual representative of what the knives look like and not just a generic picture, then it seems like the knives I need don't necessarily need to come from Delta. What I'm wondering is, could I just get the

6" jointer knives sold by Grizzly[2] and use them with my Delta jointer?

Thanks.

[1]:
Michael Faurot

I don't know these by part numbers specifically, but if it is a standard flat knife (not the two-edged, non-resharpenable kind, for example), the critical dimension is the thickness followed by width and then length. The thickness is the most critical because it fits the gib spacing precisely and if not correct (particularly thinner) it may not stay in. Width shouldn't be narrower by much, but 1/16 - 1/8" won't be killers except won't be able to resharpen as often. Length is obvious, has to clear the housing.

Unless you're going to use this thing in a production environment, other than having one additional set for use when sharpening the other, the others will, in all likelihood just sit on the shelf. Actually, while the initial investment is quite a bit more, for a jointer is one place where I really like the durability of carbide. You might consider it and keep the HSS knives for the "once-every-two-or-three-years whether it needs it or not" resharpening. If it's just for occasional hobby/recreational use, you may go for much longer than that.

Reply to
dpb

I use this

have ordered several sets from them in the past for both my planer and jointer. They also ship by USPS standard so I got them in about 2 days.

Reply to
Jody

That looks like just the ticket. If I'm reading things right and translating things, I think the knives I need are only $18.90--sweet!

Thanks for the tip!

From what I gather about my planer (Delta model 37-275X) it uses the same knives as the Delta models 37-190 and 37-195--so I should just need to get these[1] from Global. According to the web site, the dimensions on the knives are 6-1/8" x 5/8" x 3/32". Can anyone with a similar model 37-275X verify these are the correct dimensions?

Thanks!

[1]:
Michael Faurot

Thanks for the tips, I didn't consider this initially--but know I now to look for this! It looks like I may have a better choice with knives from Global[1].

It's for hobby use. So I figured I get two extra sets. That way I'll have an extra when it's time to sharpen the ones that are in there, and an extra just in case. :)

Thanks for you thoughts on this.

[1]:
Michael Faurot