Delta Benchtop Jointer

I just picked up a Delta Bench top jointer as my first one and have set it up per instructions. However, when I joint an edge or face it seems to rip out material at the very end. I have adjusted the fence and table to be in alignment, joint with the grain in the correct position (per the manual) and have tried different depths and feed rates, but it still happens. On a 3/4" thick stock it seems to remove about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch section near the end and makes a loud, almost popping noise as it removes the wood.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem.

Allyn

Reply to
Allyn Vaughn

Sounds like your pushing the end of the wood down against the blade instead of riding it along the output table at the end of the run.

Reply to
TDUP

Sounds like your pushing the end of the wood down against the blade instead of riding it along the output table at the end of the run.

Reply to
TDUP

I agree w/ TDUP. I own the JT-160 which sounds like the model you have. It is very easy to get SNIPE at the end with this model because the infeed and outfeed tables are so short. Keep practicing until you develop a FEEL for running items over the jointer. That's what I had to do. It is a nice little jointer, produces very smooth edges. Oh one other little quirk with the JT-160. The hex screws that hold its knives in have most likely been put in w/ LOCKTITE and are nearly impossible to remove when you go to change the knives. You'll bend up your hex wrench or strip them before they come out. Delta is aware of the problem and when I called them I convinced them to send me a whole new cutterhead assembly since I am now unable to remove my knives.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

I disagree, I also have this model, and have used much better machines. Even with constant pressure I get snipe. This is an inferior piece of woodworking machinery.

Reply to
Brian