Drawer Face Trim Q

I am building a drawer with a solid 3/4" cherry front. It is 5 3/8" X 41". Would like to add a bead trim, I believe it is called a "cocksbead" around the perimeter of the drawer. My concern is with the end pieces of trim being long grain to cross grain. The trim will be about 5/16" - 3/8" thick. I have seen this feature on drawers. Is there a trick to it? Am I being too concerned about wood movement? BTW, I live in New England and the wood moisture content would likely swing from 6% winter to 10% to 12% summer.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Remove "no" to reply

Reply to
Bill Rittner

When you cut the beads cut the 41" length with the grain. Crosscut the 5 3/8" pieces. It avoids the cross grain situation and the grain of the cocksbead will "flow" with the drawer front.

Nova

Hi, Bill.

Cockbead is the term. There's no secret. You make your drawer then run a rebate round the front to accommodate the bead. Of course there's a cross-grain situation, but it isn't enough to give you hassle over that distance. Just glue the bugger in. I did a bookcase 20 years back with 2 small cockbeaded drawers and they're still tight. I also have a 5-drawer chest-of- drawers which must date back to the turn of the 20th century which still has tight cockbeads.

Cheers,

Frank

Cheers

Frank