Kreg Precision Miter Gauge Continues

As many of you may have read, I bought the Kreg Precision Miter gauge several weeks ago and it did not index properly so I returned it. Bought the Osborn 3, It had way too much slop in the fence at the extended arm 45 degree setting, so I returned it. I then ordered the Blue Kreg Precision Miter gauge and the unit that came in was much better than the first one. Still the indexing pin wobbled and you could not rely on the pin to accurately index the gauge. Talking to Kreg through e-mail, 2 new pins were sent out to correct the problem. One pin was worse than the first, the second pin would not fit in the hole. Another e-mail to Kreg and they said that they would pull a new unit, let 2 engineers check it out and sent that one to me.

That finally worked.

In the mean time I got to use the second gauge and fence system making 100 or so cross cuts with it. I love the feel and using it over and over on repeated cuts was uneventful. No sore hand, and the gauge never felt awkward. I prefer to push the gage and fence assembly by the fence rather than the handle. All in all, the gauge NOW performs as advertised.

If you consider this gauge, I strongly advise buying from a local dealer and checking the indexing pen for wobble and that the Veriner Scale does not move, before leaving the store. It basically took 3 gauges and 2 extra indexing pins to finally get a gauge that would index exactly where you would expect it to index at. IMHO all other features of the system shine brightly with never a problem.

Reply to
Leon

I somehow missed your wrestling match with Kreg. FWIW, I got lucky with a Woodhaven, which I've had for a few years. It's basically bullet proof indexing worked out of the box, and is one of the most accurate and used piece of equipment in the shop. I even made a crosscut sled, using the Woodhaven as a base, for graduated angle cuts in panels.

Reply to
Swingman