JET miter gauge

Hi, I've noticed a few posts on this over the last months, and just wanted to add that mine has the same "pin problem." (That is, the pivot pin just drops out of the gauge). Pretty poorly designed piece of equipment, really. On a positive note, the Incra V27 I got to replace it looks to be well designed and well built. Still, I had expected better from JET. It's one thing to replace a stock accessory to get additional features or increased accuracy, but it shouldn't be necessary to replace it just to be able to perform a basic function.... Lewis

Reply to
Lewis

It's a miter gauge! The miter gauges that come with saws, even $2000 saws, usually aren't very good. I think they make them at the stock blade guard / splitter factory.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Would you guys quite talking about the pin falling out!!! I've had my JET saw for about 5 years and never had a problem with the pin until the first time I used it after a post about the pin falling out. Sure enough, I'm getting screwy cuts and it's because the pin fell out. Now you've jinxed me again!

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Is this something that can be fixed up with a drop of Loctite or superglue? I might be missing something here.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

I finally got two pins from Jet for the miter gauge. I took a file and ran it across the pin holding the file on edge to make groves in it. Then put a dab of red loctite on it. I also bought the V27 while waiting on the pins. I have the jet gauges set for exactly 90 deg. and use it only for box joints.

Reply to
Mike S.

Honestly, it's such a silly design that I didn't even worry about trying to make it stay together with Loctite. I suppose it would hold for a while, but we're talking about a smooth-sided hole, with a smooth-sided pin that is just slightly smaller than the hole. Gravity will always win in the end. Lewis

Reply to
Lewis

Reply to
Mark

Wouldn't a whack with a hammer & center punch make enough of a dimple that the pin wouldn't fall out? Or you could bend the pin a little & hammer it in.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I use jigs more often than the miter gauge. I only discovered the pin was missing after making about 5 crosscuts and seeing that each had a different version of 90 degrees =:~0

Jet is sending me some new pins (.48 US but after a bit of conversation about postage costing more than the pins they're sending them free). While waiting, I found a good use for those old POS 1/4" borg special router bits. The shaft on a veining (sp?) bit is exactly the right size to make a temp repair until the pins arrive. I've ground a burr on the bit's shaft and pressed it into place. Should it loosen again, gravity and that burr should keep it from getting lost. It works so well that I'll just put the real pins into the misc. file when they get here.

Lewis wrote:

Reply to
Larry Laminger

Yea, that's what I was thinking, Or "stud and bearing mount" Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Reply to
Anthony Diodati