Incra V27: 1st impressions

A while back I posted my frustration at the pivot pin in my Jet miter gauge falling out and disappearing and asking for recommendations on after-market gauges.

Then I read on the 'net and in the latest FWW about the new Incra V27, an entry level, simple gauge. I found it on sale at woodpeckers.com and ordered one up right after Christmas. It arrived today and I just opened it.

First impressions are very favorable. It looks well thought out and designed. The parts are robust and well finished. And the instructions (yes, Virginia, there are instructions included) are clear and concise. It will take about 5 minutes to do the initial set up adjustments (following those instructions) and then, with any luck, should never have to be changed again.

I'll not have a chance to put it to use until this weekend but will report back after that.

Reply to
Ian Dodd

Ian,

Couple of things to do to keep things running smoothly. Clean out the miter gauge slots and scrape the wax off the sides of the slots where the Incra gauge aligners rub. The wax will build up on them and make the gauge difficult to push.

Expect to find out that your miter slot does not have perfectly parallel edges and that even with the slot clean, you will feel some slight resistance in spots. The slots are not milled perfectly so your adjustments on the Incra miter bar will be a compromise - live with it...

Use some mineral spirits to clean the side wall of the miter slot and to clean the gunk (wax) off the miter bar adjusters and all will be well with the world.

I have the models 1000 and 2000 and use both.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I got a V27 for Xmas (with the ShopStop fence and stop from Woodpeckers). Out of the box, it was so tight I could hardly push it at all.

I used the included handy-dandy little Allen wrench and removed the round slot adjusters completely. It now slides easily with no slop. Smooth as glass.

I checked it for square with the table. No prob. I checked it to the blade, set it to 90 and BANG! Dead-on. 45? BAM!

I was amazed. I just expected to have to tweak it out at least a little. But, no. It was true.

My only complaint is that neither the fence nor the V27 came with mountings (nuts and bolts) to connect them. I had to delay my joy and wait until after Xmas when the stores opened to actually put them together. I would understand that, if they were bought separately, but they were bought as a package.

But as for the product itself, I am very pleased with it.

codepath

Reply to
codepath