Noobie Needs Help

Hi All,

I am new to woodworking in the furniture making area and need some help. I would like to build my 8 month old daughter a changing table, but I am having trouble designing or finding a plan that I can use.

I have looked at a couple of books for info and also tried a plan off Eagle America but the plan wasn't even close to what was pictured and I will be returning that. The books don't give any clear diagrams on the internal construction and this is where I am having my difficulties. I understand that everyone has their own way of doing thing, but I would like to build something that is going to last. I don't want to just slap some boards together and say "here you go".

I am looking to build a dresser like the one in this link:

hope that gets eveyone to the sight. If not it is a bi-level dresser, 3 drawers and the Right side is raised and has 1 drawer and then a door for larger stuff.

If someone know of a plan or a book that helps in case construction I would appreciate it. Also any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Drew P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Drew P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The folks,

sell the plans that are originally published in their magazines, ShopNotes, Woodsmith, and Workbench. The plans I have seen are complete, detailed, and well suited to a level of craftsmanship that most of us can attain, if we are careful, and think things through.

Several points:

  • See if you library has these in it's collection. That makes the evaluation of the project somewhat easier.
  • If you start today, your daughter will likely be 10 months old when you finish the project. That's how the decision/acquisition/learning/doing/finishing process seems to work.
  • I would look at doing this project as two pieces, which can either sit side by side, or be seperated. Kids grow. Rooms change. Since you want to build this, rather than spend 0 on a retail piece, I assume that you'll want to keep it around for a while.
  • If you're just starting out, and will need to get a tool or two, and some supplies, you will want to make certain that you have realistic expectations about budget. Even with free labor, you won't save much if any money. If you're careful, you will have something your grandchildren will use.
  • Try to find a Rockler, or a Woodcraft, or a similar store in your area. See if they have references to a local wood club. You'll get a bunch of good tips and advice there. And some you will want to ignore.

But have some fun. Welcome to the craft.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Drew P) wrote in

we got an antique side table to use for a changing table. we still have it, doing duty in our breakfast nook. in the 28 years since the kids have needed it, it's appreciated a lot more than a $300 piece of pressed wood would today.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Took a look at the site you posted. I've got a half a dozen books on case work but the trouble is I'm at a loss on which if any to recommend because they are all pretty much overkill for the project you are contemplating. What you want is pretty basic and I'm afraid most of the stuff would be information overload.

You may want to see if you can track down a copy of "Quick and Easy Custom Cabinets" by Anthony Guidice. There is also "The Woodworkers Visual Handbook" by Jon Arno. The last has only a couple of very short chapters on the subject but enough, I think, to get you well started in the right direction. The rest of the book, well that will almost certainly come in handy for other projects as well.

Good Luck

If you can track

Reply to
MikeG

Thanks everyone. I apprecaite the advice. I am hoping to start soon as my daughter isn't getting any younger. I want to take my time and do it right. Once again thanks and I will check out those books

Drew

Reply to
Drew P