Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

About 8~9 years ago Bridge City Tools came out with a fine little jig that enabled you to cut perfect fitting dados with just about any width blade or router bit. That is as long as the blade or bit cuts narrower than the width of the dado.
I bought that expensive little jig and have had great success when using it.
Seems there is a shop made version now and probably the absolute simplest that I have seen.
Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZWlLPw0HI

On 12/15/17 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:

I agree, that is perfect! Plus, I like the blade width adjustment screw which gives you fine tuning for different materials. I have found that some materials glue up better with a tight fit and some better with a looser fit. Probably due to expansion.
--

-MIKE-

They still make them.
<http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/layout-tools/km-1-kerfmaker.html >I bought that expensive little jig and have had great success when using it.

Neat. A lot cheaper, too.
On 12/15/2017 6:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I clicked and wandered a little. Apparently there is a larger version with a magnetic reference stop that will be produced too.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/km-2-kerfmaker.html

Big time. I was inquiring many years ago about the capacity prior to ordering the original kerfmaker, It had limitations in width. Looks like I can build a bigger one for 2 X stock.

Why stop there? I made one some years ago that will do at least 4", maybe more, don't recall at the moment. Why so wide? Because I often do half laps in fairly wide stock and can use my kerf maker for them.
Mine is much fancier too, mahogany and brass, drop dead gorgeous :)
On 12/16/2017 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Pictures, pictures, PICTURES! Wee need to see that. ;~)
Actually I think the new Bridge City Kerfmaker will do 100 mm or about 4". But yes I might as well make one to handle stock that I could actually use.
These kerfmakers will really come in handy for making slots for drawer bottoms..... To bad I just thought of that after literally making hundreds of drawers in the last several years. ;~(
Or all of those slots for the box tops and bottoms. Damn!

Nice. I'll think about it. It reads like they've been available but they batch orders to save costs. You get it when they get enough to run a batch. Sorta like a perpetual Woodpeckers' "One Time Tool".

The new Bridge City Kerfmaker is magnetic, so it'll stick to your table and maybe you'll remember to use it. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 22:16:44 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Magnets can be installed "as an Option."
--
pyotr filipivich

Sure. here you go... https://imgur.com/a/tNN0F
On 12/17/2017 12:26 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Sweet! You did not exaggerate!
On 12/17/2017 12:26 PM, dadiOH wrote:

WOW!!! Very nice. Looks store bought! ;~)
Is the little brass dowel for cutter thickness?

Yes. Most of it has a flat on it so the bolt from the side can hold it in place well.

It is gorgeous.
It is so unique that it beats a lot of those one-off tool companies products. I can see that as being highly marketable.
On 12/16/17 11:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I clicked and wandered a little. Apparently there is a larger version

I do a lot of half-laps, too. I'll definitely make one of these. Not sure I trust the guy's washer grip to hold the adjustment. I just think it would be too easy to slip if bumped. I would probably make the half being held in place a tiny bit thicker to make sure it holds. Or even use a wider washer with a thin rubber gasket.
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 2:33:35 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

That was my thought too. I have some Grade 8 washers left over from my Soap Box Derby days. 1/4" hole, 1.25" diameter. Very sturdy. My head went right to them as soon as I saw the tiny washer he was using.
On 12/16/2017 2:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Keep in mind a larger washer will disperse the pressure over a larger area and will require you to tighten the thumb screw even tighter. I think like Mike indicated a ribber washer under the small washer might be the trick if it does not hold.
On 12/16/2017 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

Might even consider one of the "star" lock washers under the small flat washer. Or slightly bending the washer so the the center is higher than the outer edges.
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 4:37:20 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

rfmaker.html>

ersion

rior

th.

t 4",

ause I

? :)

.
obably

I was thinking I would take a spade/forstner bit and recess under the washe r a touch on the fixed side...

[snip]

Great idea. The star washer would probably work well but after time might "chew up" the moveable side enough that it might form "pre sets" that you'd be fighting to get it set dead nuts on.
It wouldn't take much of an inset with the Forstner at all; just a scosch.

Jeez, now that would be simple.