Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

OK, Yet another and has to be the absolute simplest to make.

It's simply a "stick" and "a screw".

Brought to you by Brian who used to post here.

I will say that it may not work as well for large stock but maybe it will!

BTW I am not sure why he made a cut out, it seems to serve no purpose.

Reply to
Leon

For that matter, the entire wood block serves no purpose. The business part is the screw which is simply duplicating the width of the kerf. I know for a fact that most of my full kerf blades are dead-nuts-on 1/8", so you could probably just use one of those brass set-up blocks or cut a scrap to 1/8".

That is, if you always want the same "tight" fit. Having the block give you adjustability for fit tightness and other blades.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Perhaps Brian's a "waste not, want not" kinda guy. ;) Then again perhaps he did it to quickly orient the screw end down for set up.

In any event, it's a very simple solution and, like most of his videos, educational and entertaining.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The cut out is to remind him not to throw it in the scrap pile.

Reply to
G Ross

Sure. here you go...

dadiOH

Sweet! You did not exaggerate!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

WOW!!! Very nice. Looks store bought! ;~)

Is the little brass dowel for cutter thickness?

Reply to
Leon

Yes, I thought that too but it is nice to have something a bit larger to grab. ;~) and for me if not obvious how to place it I might put it on the wrong edge when flipping. Maybe that is what the cut out is for, to remind you which surface is which.

The business

Reply to
Leon

Yes that and or in my case, to remind me which surface indexes the work. I could easily get that think clocked 90 degrees by accident. I knew he probably had a good reason.

Reply to
Leon

Just after 2:00 he uses the words "a section nibbled away to create a reference spot on one section of the jig".

Sounds to me like it's exactly that "indexing" hint that you mentioned.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes. Most of it has a flat on it so the bolt from the side can hold it in place well.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah I caught that, I thought it odd that he said that he created a reference spot as the spot was already there. I guess I should be thinking he created a visual reference to locate the reference spot.

Tomatoes, mate'rs. LOL

Reply to
Leon

It is gorgeous.

It is so unique that it beats a lot of those one-off tool companies products. I can see that as being highly marketable.

Reply to
OFWW

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 16 Dec 2017 22:16:44 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Magnets can be installed "as an Option."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The cut out reduces the amount of contact surface area, which has the poten tial to reduce error. Errors in the few thou of an inch are enough to infl uence fit.

-Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

:~) So a cautionary modification.

Unfortunately these type jigs, and I have the BridgeCity KerfMaker, don't allow for inconsistencies in thickness of the material that will fit onto the dado. And plywood typically varies in thickness along any given edge enough to be more than a few thou of an inch.

And really that is not a fault of the jigs so much as the quality of the material that fits into the dado.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed. I still use mine to this day (it's going on 6-years old). Glad to see I wasn't forgotten around here :) I still occasionally peek in.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

This is great. I will definitely make one and use it. Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

Good to see you again Brian.

Reply to
Leon

You are welcome buttttttt......

if you want a simpler one and your set up sample can be easily set on the saw table top, this one is as easy as it gets. It does involve repeatedly using your set up sample with each new dado but it does not get much simpler than a small piece of wood with a screw in the end of it.

Leon