Kerf Maker, Fast and easy to make

On 12/17/2017 9:39 AM, Leon wrote:

Thinking about that further, the washer will tighten down at an angle and will try to slip/push the pieces apart.
Back to the rubber washer idea. :!)
On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 4:33:00 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I was thinking that I would use a wing nut that is proportional to the washer to help apply the pressure more evenly.
I have a few of these too:
http://screwcrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/news_5_3513000632.jpg
On 12/16/17 7:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You win! That is freakin awesome.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/16/2017 7:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, that should do it! LOL
On 12/16/2017 10:52 PM, Leon wrote:

Thinking about that further, the washer will tighten down at an angle and will try to slip/push the pieces apart.
Back to the rubber washer idea. :!)
On 12/17/2017 10:53 AM, Leon wrote:

Oops Should have been posted on the forstner bit recess comment.
On 12/15/2017 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:

OK, Yet another and has to be the absolute simplest to make.
It's simply a "stick" and "a screw".
Brought to you by Brian who used to post here.
I will say that it may not work as well for large stock but maybe it will!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LpgWEk-O0

BTW I am not sure why he made a cut out, it seems to serve no purpose.
On 12/17/17 11:10 AM, Leon wrote:

For that matter, the entire wood block serves no purpose. The business part is the screw which is simply duplicating the width of the kerf. I know for a fact that most of my full kerf blades are dead-nuts-on 1/8", so you could probably just use one of those brass set-up blocks or cut a scrap to 1/8".
That is, if you always want the same "tight" fit. Having the block give you adjustability for fit tightness and other blades.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/17/2017 11:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yes, I thought that too but it is nice to have something a bit larger to grab. ;~) and for me if not obvious how to place it I might put it on the wrong edge when flipping. Maybe that is what the cut out is for, to remind you which surface is which.
The business

On 12/17/2017 11:10 AM, Leon wrote:

[snip]

Perhaps Brian's a "waste not, want not" kinda guy. ;) Then again perhaps he did it to quickly orient the screw end down for set up.
In any event, it's a very simple solution and, like most of his videos, educational and entertaining.
Leon wrote:

The cut out is to remind him not to throw it in the scrap pile.
--
G Ross

On 12/17/2017 12:10 PM, G Ross wrote:

Yes that and or in my case, to remind me which surface indexes the work. I could easily get that think clocked 90 degrees by accident. I knew he probably had a good reason.
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 4:24:35 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

th

cuts narrower

ing

Just after 2:00 he uses the words "a section nibbled away to create a reference spot on one section of the jig".
Sounds to me like it's exactly that "indexing" hint that you mentioned.
On 12/17/2017 9:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah I caught that, I thought it odd that he said that he created a reference spot as the spot was already there. I guess I should be thinking he created a visual reference to locate the reference spot.
Tomatoes, mate'rs. LOL

The cut out reduces the amount of contact surface area, which has the poten tial to reduce error. Errors in the few thou of an inch are enough to infl uence fit.
-Brian
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 12:11:01 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

rower

!
On 1/17/2018 3:46 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

:~) So a cautionary modification.
Unfortunately these type jigs, and I have the BridgeCity KerfMaker, don't allow for inconsistencies in thickness of the material that will fit onto the dado. And plywood typically varies in thickness along any given edge enough to be more than a few thou of an inch.
And really that is not a fault of the jigs so much as the quality of the material that fits into the dado.
<snip> >

Agreed. I still use mine to this day (it's going on 6-years old). Glad to see I wasn't forgotten around here :) I still occasionally peek in.
On 1/17/2018 5:14 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Good to see you again Brian.
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 1:31:05 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

This is great. I will definitely make one and use it. Thanks!
On 1/17/2018 5:55 PM, Michael wrote:

You are welcome buttttttt......
if you want a simpler one and your set up sample can be easily set on the saw table top, this one is as easy as it gets. It does involve repeatedly using your set up sample with each new dado but it does not get much simpler than a small piece of wood with a screw in the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LpgWEk-O0