jointer

Not so much a replacement for as an additional. The idea was to have excess capacity so each of the aqueducts could be brought down for inspection and repair. After a century, it's a really good plan.

The aqueduct system into NYC is really amazing. They start in the Catskills, which are on the other side of the Hudson River from NYC, so must cross (under) the river. IIRC, they're on the order of 30' in diameter (cue the Die Hard reruns).

Reply to
krw

Lucky you! We seem to be forever stuck in the precip 'doughnut hole' here in central NM. YTD rain has been just barely over 1", although we got a good 1/4" soaking last night...

-BR

Brewster

On 08/02/2014 9:01 AM, Brewster wrote: ...

Yeah, there are areas worse off than even we, fur shure...

But, just out of curiosity, what's your annual average?

We were out to Red River/Eagle Nest two weeks ago and excepting for just a couple small areas just east of Springer, it's lush until almost Clayton and from the cutoff north of Springer to Cimarron is about as green as I've ever seen it in late July...

Reply to
dpb

Heh! 'Normal' is about 7-8". We usually get 80% of that in July/August.

The state is catching up fast with the latest rains, but the storms are hit or miss and we have been in the 'miss' category. Go up or down the road a mile and they are doing great.

-BR

Brewster

Well, you've still got (most of) August... :) Good luck...

That's generally true out here, of course, as you're well aware--it's been almost five years since we've had a general area-wide rain event around this area.

We've some other ground in Harding County and son went by on the way to pick up I40 on their way back to Raleigh -- it's lush down that way now, too, from the pictures he took. It's 50 mi out of the way to get down there from US56 and no way across except to back track or a nearly unused county road that only follows section lines so really cuts of very little mileage back towards Clayton anyway so we didn't take the time this trip.

But, despite all the green grass now, no cattle to be seen--all the cow herds already thinned to nearly nothing by the past 2/3 years.

Reply to
dpb