A Little Ingenuity Saves the Back!

A couple dozen fence posts to remove. After the first two, I decided I needed a change in technique. :-)

-MIKE-

When they invented the lever I wonder if they knew it would sell so well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If we think about what we are doing there is always and easier way, if it is legal and safe.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

That's a winner! I've just used a 2x and a 45degre angle (a lever to convert horizontal to vertical motion) and pulled them with a rope tied to my truck but that's even easier than bringing the truck around.

The problem is that both techniques need an in-tact post. Often they're pretty well rotten (the reason they're being replaced).

Reply to
krw

That's true... some just *have* to be dug out. There are lots of mechanical post pullers available at the farm stores. That's what got my buddy and I thinking about how we could make our own with what I already had. No need to buy one just for a couple dozen posts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And dynamite is so messy. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:lr1uch$imf$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Been there, done that:

$20jack$20fence$20post

Reply to
Doug Miller

HAHA!! Yes, there are very few original ideas left in the world.

Funny, most of the manufactured post removers are simply altered versions of the old bumper jacks talked about in those threads.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The old "jaxk-all" or "handyman" jack works even better. a wrap of chain around the post, hook over the snout of the jack, and "bob's your uncle" -- Even an old bumper jack works fine - and a lot easier to manipulate into position than the trolley jack.

Reply to
clare

True! I stated in another reply that most of the manufactured post pullers I saw were just modified bumper jacks. Seems like there would be a million uses for one of those given enough attachments.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Sure, but the beauty of the shop jack is that everyone has one (right?). There is no need for anything special (I really don't want to take the car jacks out of the car - ever ;-). OTOH, I could probably use a bottle jack from time to time (generally use a shop jack because it has a lower profile).

Reply to
krw

As I was reading this thread it occurred to me that many modern vehicles in the US no longer have a Post type jack but some version of the older screw type jack.

I have had a 2002 Cavalier, 2005 Astro , and a 2010 Cobalt, and all had screw type jacks.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Are you talking about the scissor jacks? I think the reason (besides space) that they changed the style of jacks that come in cars is because of safety and the fact that cars don't have real bumpers any more. Try lifting a newer car by the bumper and see what likely happens. :-)

Also, those bumper post jacks could slip out very easily.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Fence stretcher, bead breaker, post remover, building jack (to level outbuildings) changing tires on tractors/implements, vitually anything that needs moving or tightening.

Reply to
clare

Honestly, I don't know what sort of jack my last three or four cars have/had. I never used them. I think the last flat (so flat I had to, or could, change the tire) was on my '78 Ford and that was in '85 (just before we got the '85 Voyager).

Reply to
krw

I have used an 8 foot 4x4 and a chain with good results. Put the chain around the 4x4 about a foot up from the end, then wrap double around the post, and link them both tightly together. Lift up on the 4x4. To get another bite lower, just lower the 4x4, slide the chain down the post, and it will grab again when you lift again.

Reply to
Morgans

Check out Porta Power Ram. They've been around since the '50s

Reply to
Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

High-lift jack is available at Amazon