Jawhorse.

Anybody tried one? It looks to be a knockoff of the Triton Superjaws without the $400.00 price tag.

Reply to
CW

Lowes started carrying them and had one on display. I messed around with it and was impressed. I clamped a 1x10 in it and couldn't get it to budge with all my weight. Simple to use and operated perfectly.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have the Triton SuperJaws and paid $ 140-ish for it. It's very useful and we all use it often.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:24:45 -0800, the infamous "CW" scrawled the following:

Huh? $400? Where?

I've seen both the Triton Superjaws and Rockwall Jawhorses for $170-180 everywhere. You're shopping at the wrong places, CW.

I haven't even seen one in the flesh (metal) yet, darnit.

I'm sure they're a licensed knockoff.

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not sure where you are looking but the Triton is way way waaaaay less than $400. More like $169 at Lee Valley.

that is cheaper tha what I see the Jawhorse for.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

It also shows no longer available...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Not in New Zealand. When I Googgled it, I guess I should have paid attention to where it was.

Reply to
CW

"Dave Balderstone" wrote

I just can't help myself...

That isn't true. I saw some Canadian currency just the other day.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

FWIW, there seems to be a Superjaws "MK II" version in existence but hard to find.

Googling I find that both the Triton and the Rockwell seem to work well but the Jawhorse opens an inch or so wider and weighs a few pounds more and has a wider range of accessories available.

Note that the "Rockwell" is the same company that also sells tools under the "Worx" brand name and is in no wise related to the company that built the Space Shuttle and at one time owned Delta--they don't even seem to have bought the brand name.

FWIW, the Jawhorse can be had from Sears at pretty much the same price as everyone else is charging, but they don't seem to be stocked in the stores.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Lowes started carrying them and had one on display.

How much was Lowes asking? I have not seen one at "my" Lowes. Did it have a "brand" name?

$169.00 is one pricey sawhorse.

Vut fifty or sixty bucks . . .

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Same as the rest, 179.

Reply to
-MIKE-

BYW, in my opinion, it would be well worth it, if you can find it on sale for say, 125.... or even 149.

It's hardly just a sawhorse. To do what it does, you would need two sawhorses, and some big clamps, and a lot more time and hassle.

The way it clamps big items and holds them securely, using no hands, is very, very nice. I would put it to good use on a job site.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Mine (Triton) is not just an extra hand, it's a damned tough one. Steady too. And quick.

Reply to
Robatoy

Mine (Triton) is not just an extra hand, it's a damned tough one. Steady too. And quick.

--------------------

And it doesn't get sick or complain. Works cheap too.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

unfortunately, I understand Triton got bought out by some other company that went bankrupt not long ago. :-(

here's a thread from a Strine Wooddorking group.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:06:43 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi scrawled the following:

I think they're becoming millionaires using the method "whatever the market will bear" instead of becoming billionaires by going the $50 route. All of us here would have them at $50.

I'm still amused at the "plywood jaw", as if you could do anything to a 4x8' piece of ply fixed onto a single 3-legger.

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This week Rockler has 25% off one item. $179 => $134.25

Reply to
Woody

Now you tell me>>>>>>>>O well. WW

Reply to