Japanese hand saw

I'm looking for a Japanese hand saw and am having no luck in my local area (Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware). Where might I go or look to find one of these saws. Are they used so seldom that Lowe's or Home Depot wouldn't want to carry them? I even asked a employee where to find it at Lowe's and they had no clue what I was talking about!

Reply to
Basspro*

i got an irwin japanese pull saw at menards sometime back for about $10. and it was actually made in japan!

irax.

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

lee valley has several. woodcraft sells them, too

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Keep looking. You'll find some easily enough, but they're usually the plastic handled sort (like the awful "Shark" saws). Even if the steel isn't shiny rubbish, the plastic handles rattle.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try Japan Woodworker

They have a store in Alameda, CA, and I've been there several times--nice people and really good stuff.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Japan Woodworker will have probably the best assortment - there are many types of Japanese saws, each with a range of prices from affordable to "if I ever win the lottery". Lee Valley and Rockler have them as well. The $50 dovetail saws works great - very fine kerf, vry fine teeth and stiffener on the back keeps things nice and straight

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Please look at Tashiro's site. I have been buying saws from him for 20 years. He is a real straightforward guy and lo! has not raised his prices since 1995!

Hitch

Five saws into it and now you tell me about this guy?

All kidding aside, I very much appreciate this link.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Nice assortment of knives too.

Reply to
Mark

Generally I think Harbor Frieght carries a LOT of junk, but I bought several Japanese saws there and they work very well. Every woodworker should have a flush-cut Japanese saw. All these years I was using a hack-saw blade to cut off the bungs. The Dozuki works well too, but you need to get used to cutting on the pull.

Reply to
Phisherman