How do I use a Router to make narrow stringing - 1.29mm (w) x 1.29mm(d) x 1000m (l)?

I'm a student in antique furniture restoration and need to make several lengths of narrow stringing (1.29mm x 1.29mm metric)(1/20" imperial) in ebony, rosewood and ivory.

I have heard this is possible using a table router and would appreciate some advice on how I should build a jig to do this.

Thank you, Nicky

Reply to
Meadows NJ

Why don't you use a bandsaw with a guide fence - make them a little proud and sand smooth?

I have no idea how you would use a router for this.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Nicky:

Michael Fortune does a fair amount of fine line inlaying. Had the privilege of attending one of his seminars on the subject. With the exception of a bandsaw to slice thin strips to start with, you can do the rest with a block of wood, some sand paper and a few simple tools you can make. Here's the URL to the stuff I put together on the subject after taking his seminar.

You will find that the ebony and the rosewood will be tricky to bandsaw without a good resaw fence. Fortunately I've put together that info as well

Good luck and if you find other methods which work please share the information with the group.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b