Rid X For Septic Systems ?

Hello,

Had our septic system pumped out, and the guy suggested using Rid X, periodically.

Any opinions on ? Any negatives or caveats to its use ?

How often (he didn't say)?

Thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

It won't hurt your septic system, but does absolutely nothing of value other than empty your bank account. I love how it's one of those can't prove a negative things. As in "I've been using it for 20 years and never had a septic problem!"

Reply to
Robert Neville

I've never used it and don't think I need it. Septic works fine without it. Why dump money down the drain?

Reply to
Frank

The stuff has been around for 50+ years or more. The only story that I heard was that it will stir up the sludge in the bottom of the tank and allow it to travel out into the leach field and clog it up so that it cannot drain, needing rebuilding. Don't know if it is true, nor what it supposed to add to a tank. I am living with a septic tank and leach field that was installed in

1970 and it is still going well with regular pumping. I have lived with septic tanks for most of my life, and the one thing I learned is they will take care of themselves with regular pumping and if you do not abuse them with excessive chemicals, detergents, oils, use and too much water.
Reply to
EXT

It is snake oil. All the "enzymes" you need in a septic tank come from the stuff you are supposed to be putting into the tank.

The only rule you need to know about septic tanks is, you can put anything you want in a septic tank, if you eat it first.

Reply to
gfretwell

not needed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

A septic tank will function normally naturally without it. The things that kill bacteria will affect a septic tank. Things like soap and bleach. If you watch the amount of those things you put in there, it will improve your performance better than any additive. People used to add yeast powder or cakes. But if you put things in there that kill the bacteria, you defeat the whole system. Some houses are going to grey water systems now that take care of the grey water from showering, bathing, washing dishes, and clothes washing, as this water has the bad stuff in it. Organic matter is going to break down naturally.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I wonder how RidX compares to the Drain Care product from Home Depot that's supposed to clean pipes by enzymatic action. I've been treating the kitchen drain with Drain Care and it occurred to me that it might just be the same stuff as RidX, which has a reputation of being a waste of money.

Fake ID

Look at it this way: if you put shit into a tank designed to decompose it and liquefy it, and leave it alone for months, there's basically no simpler system. No moving parts. It goes in, it liquefies, it goes out. Solids remain, and if a person monitors their input, there will be such a minimal level of solids, pumping is barely necessary for a decade. It is when soaps and oils and fats are added that the balance is upset. All additives are designed to give the user a feeling of well-being to compensate for their abuse of their septic tank.

Now, it is almost impossible to keep "stuff" out of a septic system, unless there is a dedicated separate grey water system. Oils and fats and soaps will make their way down the drain, no matter how careful anyone is. Perhaps there are biodegradable soaps, but then again, you are getting into the ionosphere of spendiness, and still some oils from cooking and dishes will get around them.

The issue is NOT RidX or Drain Care, or even simple yeast packets. It's what people put into their septic system that they should not. Some people do not even put toilet paper into their septic system. It's all about how specific you want to be.

At our mountain cabin, we have a SMALL system, therefore, only water and crap go in there. No toilet paper. Will it make a difference? I believe so.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

extra fiber?

Reply to
chaniarts

It's all conjecture...I have NEVER used anything like RidX all of our families life.

OR anything like it....

But then....We don't need or have a septic tank.

Hey...! Better than Harry's stupid comment.....

Reply to
Papa Pat