Imperial notation x/x/x/

Hi there, i'm from france (and big sorry for my English) and got a old us book about woodworking: I wondering where is the height / lenght / depth commonly write on a plan, for exemple 3/8''x10-5/8''x14-1/2" ?? [i have already converted in metric - witch is 9,52 x 269,87 x 368,3 ] but i'm lost...

Reply to
argi make

I don't understand your question - sorry.

Are you asking if there is a Standard Notation for Height Length Depth ? vs Length Depth Height ... or whatever .. ... if so - Good question ! ..

.. but I fear it might revert us to the endless day-month-year month-day-year date notation .. or my fav year-month-day doh ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Not at all. YMD is a standard that makes sense. MDY is standard notation that makes no sense. WLD, DWL, or whatever isn't standard anywhere. There isn't even a standard for which axis is length. How can there be an argument when there is no common ground on which to argue. Wait, it's called "social media".

Indeed

Reply to
krw

"old" is a relative thing (2005, 1955, or 1905?). I think that the older books often assume that the user will adopt a plan to his or her needs. In particular, many of the materials of yesteryear are not as easily available these days, so you will probably have to adjust a plan anyway. Just curious, what are you reading and what are you planning to build?

Reply to
Bill
Re: Imperial notation x/x/x/ open original image

Thank your for yours answers: yes ! my question was about Standard Notation for Height Length Depth (in US) this is a Shaker furniture. Attached the exemple. Thx

Reply to
argi make

3/8" = .375 inches = 09.52 mm would be the thickness then width then length 9.5 mm by 269.87 mm by 368.3 mm 9.5 x 270 x 368
Reply to
Markem618

Thx Markem I was disturbed because in france we begin by the Higer in the quotation system: here 368 (L) x 270 (l) x 9.5 (h) L for lenght / Small l for width and Small h ( witch mean height) for thickness... Thx a lot !

Reply to
argi make