Copper unions - slip x mips?

Is a 1" copper union slip x mips commonly available?

I couldn't find it at Home Depot or at a couple of the online stores that I searched. They only had slip x fips or slip x slip.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

I don't think there's such an animal. What is this application for?

Reply to
Mikepier

They are Nibco series #733-4, all they way up thru 2 1/2" size.

.pdf here:

But you're going to have to visit a real supply house.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That looks like EXACTLY what I need.

I plan on hitting a major Boston-area plumbing supply house Monday morning - would it tend to be a stock item or would even they need to special order it?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

For attaching an irrigation backflow preventer (Febco 765-1 PVB). The backflow preventer has two female connects and since this is a replacement, I don't have a lot of room in the existing copper loop to add in a series of transitional connectors to make a female threaded union work.

The reason I am adding unions is so I can disconnect the PVB over the winter to prevent plastic parts from freezing (it can happen even when system is fully blown out -- I know from experience...)

Reply to
blueman

Usually Monday morning is the worst day for an amateur to visit a supply house. All of the pros come in and the counter people will take care of them first and won't want to be bothered with your questions. I suggest an afternoon visit later in the week to get more attention and respect. It's good to have the brand and part number.

Reply to
John Grabowski

John Grabowski wrote: ...

Glad I'm not wherever you are... :(

Just go tell 'em what you want, if they've got it, they'll hand it over; otherwise they'll either order if you want or get you an alternative.

Monday's no different than any other day--if you're next in the line, you're next...

--

Reply to
dpb

If it is a special order at the plumbing supplier, McMaster-Carr will ship and have it at your door the next day.

Item #: 5520K13

$3.90

Reply to
Tim

I actually have an account at the plumbing supply store and have spent many thousands there this year alone buying supplies (and appliances) for myself and several family members. That being said, I won't get there anywhere close to 7AM when most of the contractors crowd the place so I'm not worried...

Reply to
blueman

That part seems to be just a straight fitting and not a union: Socket-End (Female) to Pipe (Threaded) Adapters

My search of the McMaster-Carr catalog only turned up unions with a female threaded end and not with male threaded ends (which is what I am looking for).

That being said, thanks for the McMaster reference...

Reply to
blueman

If the supply house doesn't have the union in the configuration you desire, perhaps a CxC union could still work if a "fitting male" adapter was used. It would make the union only marginally longer than the one you seek.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Well, they wanted $40-60 a piece for them. So, I ended up just using the slipxslip ($15) and a slip x male threaded adapter -- it did end up requiring some more rework to make up the extra room but I ended up saving about $60 on the pair.

Reply to
blueman