Home Depot Sale - Rigid Bench Top Planer (Semi - Gloat)

I've recognized for some time that I needed a planer (have a jointer, but really hard to make uniform thickness finished boards!). I've been doing research trying to decide, Bench Top or a 15" free standing, 240 volt, fire breathing floor model. I'd decided on the 15" Yorkcraft at Wilke Machinery (about 3 miles from my house!). Then I started to read posts here and do research. Anyway, being slightly more than a "newbie", and slightly less than an "intermediate" woodworker (intermediate "newbie"?), I decided a benchtop would fit my skill and experience level.

Dewalt, Delta or ??? Research, research..... I decided on the Delta

22-580, no, the Dewalt 735, no, the Dewalt 734. No, I found a DW 733 that a family was selling. "In like new condition" they said. Anyway, they wanted $300. Seems like way too much, especially when they're on Ebay for $250 +/-.

Went into HD today - they had the TP 1300 on sale for $298. For that price, it comes with a stand, and two sets of knives!! You could get the TP 1300 "LS" model with a 1 year guarantee, or the "older" TP 1300 with the lifetime guarantee. No brainer there. Went back and checked my research, and DAGS. The one article I read rated it second behind the DW733. Old article, but the more current research I did confirmed what the article said. So, I went back and scarfed up one of the TP1300's (lifetime!).

Anyway, I think a good tool for an intermediate newbie, at a good price. I even get a free "Rigid" jacket.

Mabye a small, intermediate newbie gloat???

Thanks to the group for all the great information I received from reading all the planer related posts!!!

Nick B.

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Depends. What color is the jacket?

Reply to
Peter Shull

Anything free is always nice :) I have that planer and it has served me well for almost two years. Btw my local borg also includes a dust chute with that package.

One thing about that warranty though. It covers manufacturing defects, that's it. Gears, springs, chains, brushes, rollers and just about everything else that moves are considered wear items. They are not covered, so they say, but your mileage may vary.

Recently I had the rubber delaminate from the infeed roller and called about a replacement. I was told initially it was not covered. After a little coaxing I got the guy to agree with me that the roller separating should not be considered normal wear and he offered to send me a new one. Then I pointed out the fact that a new front roller together with a fairly well used outfeed roller is likely to cause snipe. I myself wasn't even sure if this was true:) Reluctantly he agreed and also sent me a new outfeed roller. So the "lifetime warranty" claim does have some merit.

I think being persistent yet keeping my cool got me what I wanted in the end.

Good luck with your new toy!!

Reply to
jd