Re: 22-580 Planer Dust Collection

clogging the DC. I slapped this seperator together so I don't know

> how well it will work.

A better dc? Mine does not clog and I have the same planer. My dc is the Jet 1100.

Check your hose layout to be sure you have good flow. Maybe lighter cuts? Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Sep 5, 2003, 11:19am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WoodChuck34) I just got a Delta 22-580 Planer (not a gloat) and wow (okay, maybe a little gloat). Anyway I used it for the first time 2 nights ago and it does produce a great finish, but also a lot of shavings. I read all the posts here before I chose one and knew dust control with these things (this is my first planer) is an issue, but I wasn't prepared for the shavings.

****************************************************** I bought the same model and had the same problem. After a lot of phone calls and letters to Delta, I received a phone call from the General Manager. He said that they had a lot of dust collection trouble with that model and that he would send two men in a truck to my house, take it away and give me my money back. They were true to their word and they came and got it and handed me a check for the full amount that I had paid. I really did like that machine. But I went and bought a Jet and am happy with it. It works very well and there is not a speck of dust (almost). Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

Is the Delta the one with the bar across the opening? I think that is why it was scratched from my list.

Reply to
Igor

I have the earlier model(12 1/2" version) and my Delta DC kept up very nicely. I recall there being a "bar" that needed to be removed when the DC was connected... Did you have a similar thing to remove ???

I don't remember the correct term but it directed the chips in the wrong manner when the dc was hooked up.

WoodChuck34 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

That's what I have 12 1/2" model 22-560 - I have problems with the DC too - my 2 1/2" hose connected to shop vac clogs up right away - then it backs up inside planer - no good - so I was thinking of buying the Delta DC - this is no better?

What is this bar - there's a bar across the top to carry it - is there something else inside? nothing about this in the instruction manual.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Rob

I've got an even older 22-540 Delta planer with the optional dust chute. I bought a 1hp Delta DC and run a 20' section of 4" hose to the planer. When I first started using the new DC, it would clog. When I removed the 4" hose from the DC, I found an "X" brace across the inlet to the impeller. Designed to stop something big from hitting the blades, but the longer strands of wood collected on the brace, eventually clogging the hose. A few quick snips with diagonal pliers and the brace was gone... and so was the clogging issue. I've sent a load of wood through the planer since, never once has it clogged. The DC easily keeps up with my planer and jointer now.

Reply to
Robert

Man, things get so confusing sometimes in here. In the FWW Tools and Shops annual issue(Winter 02/03) they reviewed planers and jointers and stated that the 22-580 Dust collection was the best of all the machines tested. I intend on getting this model soon. Was going to get the Ridgid until I found out that they won't be made anymore by Emerson.

Reply to
Bri

Even the 4" hose has problems with 12" wide chips at my house. I switched from center connection to end connection so they don't have to bend double to make the run up the hose. Oh yes, and my setup is based on heating fixtures Mickey Mouse modified to fit.

Reply to
George

I'm not sure what some of you are talking about but I do not see a bar across the cutterhead that needs to be removed when using a DC. I double checked the manual online and it doesn't mention it and it doesn't appear to be in the part list diagram either. Maybe that was on an older model or I'm really not reading this thing right.

I was busy this weekend and didn't get a chance to play with this again but I'm anxious to see how it works with the separator. I'm going to try this first because I really don't want to cut the "X" bar protecting the impallers on the DC as some have suggested if possible. I'll save that as the last resort.

I am still thoroughly impress with how well this thing cuts. The boards really come out looking as if they've been finish sanded.

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

I have the same planer, and I don't have any problems even through a

30ft run of ducting. However, I have seen (When you take a deep cut) that the dust shoot cloogs because it's really narrow. And when my dust collector gets full it doesn't have enough suction to pull it out quick enough. (However, I have the same problem with everything else)

Other than that one annoyance it does a great job of collection all the chips. However, Usually plane no more than at most a 1/16 at a time, it doesn't take that long especially using the faster speed for the early cuts.

I have it run through a separator which removes most of the big chips, doesn't do a great job. (most likely a design flaw in my sep. and not the fault of the planer.)

Reply to
Sam