plunge or fixed base?

hi everyone...

I've just started playing with wood and was wondering if I should buy a plunge or a fixed base router. I heard everything you can do with one, you can do with the other but wasnt sure. any help? Also, can I get a respectable router under $100?

Reply to
Ah10201

Both. In fact, there are some really nice packages by Bosch, Porter Cable, and DeWalt that include both bases. You really can't go wrong with any of the three, but you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which one is best at the beginning. They're ALL good, they all have minor idiosyncrasies, and you'll get excellent results from any of them.

Plunge bases have a higher center of gravity and are not as easy to fine tune for depth as fixed bases. Fixed bases don't plunge. The fixed base can be mounted in a shop made router table and allow your to quickly change the motor from table to handheld use. Whenever possible, I prefer the fixed base for handheld work, as I think it handles much nicer.

Tables are simple to make and can be as plain or as elaborate as you choose. Once you have a router, even the most rudimentary table clamped to the bench will make the tool even more versatile. My first table, which is still my "portable", was simply a sink cutout. It still does the job and was FREE!

Probably not, unless it's used or refurbished.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have a lot of hours with routers and have never needed a plunge base. You might be doing different work than me.

A router under $100 will be a real compromise on quality and power. So, it depends on what you will be using it for and how much you will be using it. For an occasional roundover, anything will be just fine. For big dados or raised panel doors you need something rather beefier.

Reply to
Toller

You can most certainly get a "respectable" homeowner/hobbiest level router for $100 or less. I recall a comparison test in one of the woodworking magazines of that class of router and the Black and Decker and Skil plunge routers did quite well. I think the Skill even has a 1/2" collet.

On the other hand, if by "respectable" you mean something with any snob appeal, forget it.

Reply to
GRL

I have an article on your first/next router on my website. You may find it useful as it answers all of your questions except the last one, which is "no."

However, you can get close. A Porter-Cable 690 router, which is more than enough router for maybe 85% of your needs, should be able to be acquired for a little more than $100, depending on how you shop and new or refurb.

Avoid like the plague any router with the word "craftsman" anywhere on it.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Check out one of the combo kits. I have the Bosch combo and am very happy with it. If I was only going to buy one, I'd buy a fixed base. I use the fixed base 95% of the time. Check out Pat Warner's website for good router info. I think he has some reviews there too.

Reply to
BeerBoy

When you need the plunge router, you really need it. If the router is going in a table, I'd get a fixed base, otherwise I'd get a plunge router, The DW

621 also has dust/chip collection which is a major feature as far as I'm concerned. The 690 is not a soft start and the 621 is. I have both routers. I seldom use the 690 and when I do, it's in a table. I absolutely never use the plunge base on the 690.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

The Skill 18xx series -- relatively new on the market -- comes with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets.

The 1825 package (has both the fixed and plunge bases) is under $100, at Lowes.

lots of features -- variable speed, soft-start. "automatic" illumination of the cutter area, too. (neat 'gimmick' -- photocell on the right-side handle; when you cover the cell w/ your hand, the white LED illuminating the cutter area go on. Of course, if you leave the router plugged in, and turn the shop lights off.... :)

It claims 2-1/4HP; the 'plate' is 11A, so it _might_ generate an honest 1-1/2 hp.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If you're anywhere close to Houston I have a Porter Cable 690 mounted on a table for $125.00. You can add a plunge base later if you feel you need it.

Reply to
Tom