It arrived yesterday and went together last night.
A pleasent surprise! Normally when putting together sheet metal stuff
I assume that my hands will look like they went through a planer -
from the sharp unfinished edges. Not a one to be found on the stand!
The extension tables needed a swipe of the file on the underside
All the holes lined up, all the bolts fit, all the pieces were there.
A nice touch - all nuts and bolts were nominal 1/2" wrench on the
head. I say nominal because the shoulder bolt heads were a couple of
thou oversize and you had to bang the wrench on them to grab - no big
deal as all the nuts were right sized, so hold the bolt and use the
socket wrench on the nuts. There were even enough lock washers. Al the
nuts, bolts and washers were nicely powder coated black.
The instructions, while sparse, were adequate. There were a couple of
ommissions (one bolt holding the rear uprights also has to hold one
end of the wheel mounts. Naturally the uprights went on in step 1,
requiring removal of the 2 bolts and replacement in step 2.). I wound
up with 2 extra lock washers - no place for them to go, so I put them
under 2 of the planer hold down bolt nuts and added a couple of 5/16
lock washers of my own under the other 2. Can't say why DW decided
that locking down the bolts holding the planer on the stand was
unnecessary. I also added washers on the top of these bolts to spread
the load on the planer base - I always over-engineer everything!
The stand is stable as a rock with the kick down caster pulled up,
moves easily on the casters with the planer mounted, parks in a corner
like a dream. The extension table on the outfeed side hits the dust
ejection fitting and won't stay folded up, but a bungee cord solved
that minor problem.
Nice job DeWalt!
Wil add my observations on the 735 planer after the weekend - some
cherry boards are going to get a work out.
Before some WA asks, that's boards not broads.