Planer Stand Ideas

Hi,

I have a delta 22-580 planer and I am thinking of making an mobile stand for it. Does anyone have or can point me to plans for a good stand?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

I have a 22-560 on this stand:

I like it a lot, and have remove the wheels and installed a regular HTC 2000 mobile base. THe

22-580 is much larger and I'm not sure it will fit. I'm sure the plan can be modified to make it work.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Joe Blow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I just placed a thread by this name in the binary section, showing my planer stand.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

I put mine on a $25 table (Wolfcraft?) from Home Depot. I then put that on a piece of plywood with caster. I should have use a bigger and better caster though. I used 2" and find that the 4" on my drill press/compressor cabinet are far better.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A good design IMO is the one in last summer's Shopnotes. Here is a link to a small picture

here is a link to a cutting diagram in an Adobe pdf document
don't like the storage idea -- planer is too heavy to be put away on that low shelf -- but the fold-up leaves, etc., seem effective. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I think, of all tools, the planer would seem to be one of those whose stand would be the most "personal". Unlike most tools, the planer comes pretty close to standing completely on its own; outside of perhaps a spare set of blades, most people will have *no* extras to go with it. So unlike most other tools, you don't (usually) have a wide range of jigs, accessories, etc.

So, considering that, the only thing a planer stand need to do, planer wise, is hold it up firmly and high enough to be convienent to do (*). It is a little heavy, so I might want to make sure it has some weight at the bottom or a wide base. Otherwise, it should *really* be up to you. Me, I have my pancake compressor in the lower section. If that gets upgraded to a big-boy, the space will probably be replaced with drawers. Your space under the planer should be determined by you, and it is an easy enough plan to figure out (or even do by the seat of the pants). Perfect place to screw up too; better on a shop stand then a later project.

PK

(*) - One exception is if you use infeed/outfeed support. But, in this case, making a mobile stand is probably not terribly useful. And, for the most part, the comments still hold.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Joe, sorry I don't have any plans for the one I built, but I can give you the gist of it. Frame is 2x4 with diagonal braces. Top is 1/2" plywood. The planer is bolted to the top. The frame is bolted to a Rockler model 92051 mobile base. I thought I overbuilt it with this stand but have decided its really perfect. Its rock solid with no rack or wobble. I really like the way you can lock and release with one single pedal. It moves easily and quickly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Mon, Jan 3, 2005, 1:47pm snipped-for-privacy@kokomo.com (Joe=A0Blow) questions: Hi, I have a delta 22-580 planer and I am thinking of making an mobile stand for it. Does anyone have or can point me to plans for a good stand?

I never understand questions like that. What do you mean by, "good stand"?

I looked at some plans, then just made one. A couple of pieces of plywood, slightly wider than my planer, and as tall as I wanted, for the sides. Then glued in cross pieces, one to bolt the planer to, and more lower, for a "box". I didn't put castors on it, but easy enough to do that. It's a "good stand".

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

Thanks Igor and everyone who replied. I do need a miter saw station as well, so this one interests me. I'll look it over.

I get Woodsmith but not Shopnotes, so I'll have to wing it. You won't have the verbiage that went this would you?

Best regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

It's not a complicated question. "Good" is open for interpretation. Thank you for your simple version. Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

Well, I do. Now, of course you would never do this, but at this juncture some one might ask if I could send along a copy. Just so happens that one of the things I am somewhat particular about is copyright. So, I couldn't do that. I would be more than happy to answer some questions by looking at the text and even send along a helpful paragraph from it ("fair use"), but that would be about it. Let me know - in this thread or w/ a ping.

Depending on your space situation, you might also take a look at this "Ultimate Tool Stand"

It has a number of clever features and details, including an exploded view and cut list.

BTW, one thing that intrigues me about this group is that there seems to be a number of other "copyright-sensitive" people here. OTOneH, people share freely of their own ideas and designs; OTOtherH, I've noticed some NG equivalents of stern looks when someone has suggested posting copyrighted stuff to ABPW. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Well, you are right, I won't ask for such a thing. Especially now that you've added you disclaimer. I've tried to get that SN#75 and it is not available yet in their archive. I may give them a call and see if they could sell it to me. If you have a spare moment, I would appreciate a summary of the text, just the general ideas would be helpful.

That ultimate tool stand is a work of art. Although it's a bit overkill for me and my needs.

Thanks for taking the time to be helpful! Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 8:11am snipped-for-privacy@kokomo.com (Joe=A0Blow) spouts: It's not a complicated question. "Good" is open for interpretation. Thank you for your simple version.

That's a patronizing response (I try to be polite here, so I didn't say smartass). MY post gave MY interpretation of a "good" planer stand. And, in turn, I asked what you mean by a good stand - which you totally ignored.

Do you actually expect to get any type of reasonable response, if you can't even articulate what "your" interpretation of a "good" planer stand would be?

I will repeat my question: What do you mean by, "good stand"?

I'm beginning to figure you're just another troll.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

JT,

I am not trying to be a troll. What I was hoping for when I first asked the question was that I was polling the group for people's experience on a "good" planer stand. I don't have the experience the group has, so my idea of a "good" stand is not very relevant. If I knew, I probably would not be asking.

In this thread, Igor and I have been conversing about his ideas and suggestions. I haven't been rude or condescending. He made valid suggestions. Your response to my original question was anything but helpful.

You may have not meant it as such, but I though your response was condescending. I asked a simple straightforward question and you came off like you wanted to pick a fight and still do.

My apologies if offended, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

Here is a 22-580 (13 planer) on a mobile miter stand

you are interested I can post the dimensions.

Todd

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Thanks Todd, I appreciate your reply. Joe.

Reply to
Joe Blow

Here's another idea:

s2s

Thu, Jan 6, 2005, 10:50am snipped-for-privacy@kokomo.com (Joe=A0Blow) says: I am not trying to be a troll. What I was hoping for when I first asked the question was that I was polling the group for people's experience on a "good" planer stand. I don't have the experience the group has, so my idea of a "good" stand is not very relevant. If I knew, I probably would not be asking. You may have not meant it as such, but I though your response was condescending. I asked a simple straightforward question and you came off like you wanted to pick a fight and still do. My apologies if offended,

Apparently, you're not getting the point. Ask ten people what they think is "good" you get ten answers, maybe none of them useful to you. Yeah, my stand is "good". To me, and in my circumstances. If I could move into a big shop tomoreow, then it'd either get dumped, and a new stand made, or, it would get very heavily modified, because it would no longer be good for me, with extra space available - it wouldn't even look close to the same. So, "good" is relative. I would expect at least some input by the person asking as to what they "think" might be good, on a stand for them - maybe wheels, bright twinkling lights, Hell, anything. So, besides holding your planer up off the floor, you might have said something. Details will kill you.

Offended? Hardly.

My stand is short enough so I can sit while using it. Only slightly more footprint than my planer. Holds spare blades. Mobile enough I can move it easily. Looks good. Cost maybe $5 tops. Took me less than a day to figure out and make. I googled some pictures, basically came to the conclusion, you've seen one planer stand you've pretty well seen them all, then did it. It probably wouldn't be "good" for maybe 2-3 people here, besides me.

Plans, plans, you don' need no steenkin' plans.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

Igor, just wanted to let you know that I got a copy of SN#75. Thanks for the pointer. Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow